Newport Hop Pellets

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
Ross has had Newport hop pellets on clearance for $4 for 90 g and being a bargain hound I bought 3 packets. I figured that as a bittering hop they might go well in my partial mash Scottish 80 /- where I wasn't looking for too much flavour / aroma, Scottish beers being more malty in character.

I have used Newport twice so far, about 25 to 30g in the boil and both brews have turned out really astringently bitter with an almost molasses twang. AA is listed at 11% so maybe I've used far too much? Not really what I was looking for and will just use UK style hops like Target, Goldings etc for my next ales.

I'm drinking my way through the 80/- by mixing it half and half with a very lightly hopped light mild but it's still over the top in bitterness to my taste. I've got about 30 litres to go and was even thinking of doing a no hop all extract Nottingham-yeast quickie as a mixer.

Has anyone used Newport, it's a fairly new USA hop apparently. What styles did you use it in?

Don't use software but when I eventually get enough money and permission :p to go AG I'll be getting Beersmith. I still haven't got fine scales for measuring hops and generally do it visually from the packet which isn't too far out when using, say, a third of a packet of 90g of pellets. For flavour and aroma hopping I have been using plugs which gives 'finer' control of course.

I'm just a bit puzzled because I have used high alpha hops recently (As I type this I'm quaffing on a partial 'pilsener' that used 30g Green Bullet for bittering and it's nicely bitter but in a nice way if you know what I mean) and was wondering if other members had had issues with Newport.

I've got Newport coming out of my ears at the moment and was thinking of doing a very plain 3kg LDME, a little Crystal, Nottingham and say 20g of Newport just to sort out what Newport is all about.

I've got Newport coming out of my ears at the moment and was thinking of doing a very plain 3kg LDME, a little Crystal, Nottingham and say 20g of Newport just to sort out what Newport is all about.

from what i've been reading, thetrick might be to try them for aroma? so, late boil or toss in after the flame is out?

just cause i'm interested in playing with hops . . .

chris.

Ive used a few packets in APAs for bittering. Never had a problem and always came out as expected but it could be a style thing.

30gm of Newport assuming 11%AA is something like 36 IBUs which is just over the bitterness you want in a 80/-. Don't think you can blame the hops.
Get an evaluation copy of Promash or Beersmith, its much better than guessing. I've used Newport in a few CAPs (bittering) and it does the job OK.

Edit re-canculated the IBUs (idiot)

If you're not using software...like me...i might suggest you could try an online IBU calculator for this kind of thing Bribie.
Then at least you know 'roughly' where you are at as far as bitterness goes when adding hops
I generally use THIS calculator to give me an estimate.

Great find, Muggus - I've added that to my favourites. I've never done an APA - might hunt up a recipe and try Newport in that, and some Amarillo etc.

I've read that they might be a good substitute for Fuggles. So as a bittering hop in a british beer shouldn't be too out of place.

Back