Newbie Screw Up? (pic)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuckydeg

Reaction score
it's coopers stout with 500g of malt, I have done this brew a few times with no trouble whats happened??

P101109_09.38_01_.JPG

What's it taste like? Looks like krausen to me, but it should have dropped by now I think. Actaully sorta looks a bit like krusty krausen. Can you sanitise a spoon and scrape some out so you can feel/smell it at a closer view?

That looks pretty weird, how is the smell?

cheers

Browndog

it's coopers stout with 500g of malt, I have done this brew a few times with no trouble whats happened??
How did you add the malt? Crushed grains thrown in fermenter? Steeped malt?

Somewhat looks like crushed malt bits floating on krausen... too low resolution to really tell.

By 500g malt, do you mean grain, or dried malt extract?
Looks alot to me like it's malt extract which hasn't dissolved, and little bits are floating on top.
Used to happen to me (in the boil though) when I used alot of coopers dried malt extract, had to pretty much boil the crap out of it to get it to melt and go into solution.
Did you do a boil or just put malt powder in the fermenter, put the coopers can in and top up?

Cheers,

Mr.Moonshine

it was dried malt extract i added it to the fermenter and stired it for a while till there were no more lumps visable.

then added the can

so the big question is what does it taste like?

yeah well tastes ok, like stout from the fermenter should I spose but the floaties are all the way through.
aahhhggg !!!!!!! :angry:

yeah well tastes ok, like stout from the fermenter should I spose but the floaties are all the way through.

If it tastes ok why dont you rack it to another vessel leaving the crap behind and then bottle from that? What yeast did you use?
Cheers
Steve

all the way through? hmmm..
dont floaties normally float?
perhaps you have a case of the chunkies

Look up fermentation on youtube.. Find a video of a primary fermentation in a glass carboy and have a look at all the "chunkies" :icon_cheers: floating around...

My point is it is prob just yeast in your hydro sample. I don't think you have a problem.

Dont throw it out.

Try transferring to another fermentor and adding finings or another clearing agent and letting it sit for another few days.
Should be OK

If it tastes ok why dont you rack it to another vessel leaving the crap behind and then bottle from that

I've be inclined to do exactly this.

Latest posts

Back