Newbie Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On your 2 ring burner you should have 2 thin brass disk that regulates the air flow. make sure these are open all the way to allow as much air flow through. I got a four ring burner that did a sooty burn the first time but this fixed it up. Also as mentioned a med prusure regulator is a way to ramp the heat up.

Good points, I had forgotten camping gear runs on non-regulated gas supply. Therefore, the associate hoses and fittings etc should/would be designed for the associated pressures.
The risk of blowing yourself up from removing the regulator is significantly less than I initially feared, however stick by my gut feeling of it being a bad idea.

And getting back on thread...
Is your ring burner the sort that allows oxygen to mix with the gas just after the taps like this one. (http://www.bigbradspartyhire.com.au/images...ng/gas_ring.jpg) Perhaps they need to be unscrewed further to allow more air in. Well, I think thats how they work, it's been a while since my scouting days when playing with gas burners.
on that, how the hell do you set those little adjustable rings to the right setting?
I think I've got it now, but when I first used it, it was a bit hairy, with "gas popping" and "WRX turbo blowoff noises".

Good points, I had forgotten camping gear runs on non-regulated gas supply. Therefore, the associate hoses and fittings etc should/would be designed for the associated pressures.
The risk of blowing yourself up from removing the regulator is significantly less than I initially feared, however stick by my gut feeling of it being a bad idea.

And getting back on thread...
Is your ring burner the sort that allows oxygen to mix with the gas just after the taps like this one. (http://www.bigbradspartyhire.com.au/images...ng/gas_ring.jpg) Perhaps they need to be unscrewed further to allow more air in. Well, I think thats how they work, it's been a while since my scouting days when playing with gas burners.

As an ex firefighter I suggest if you are using anything from a two kg gas bottle upwards it is vital to use a gas regulator. I use a 4 ring burner on a frame I made to supprort the keg. I have had to addjust the breather rings a couple of times to get the nice blue flame, the hottest part. From memory they are actually called flutes and are designed to adjust air flow for correct flame and temp. Running correctly will also preserve gas usage.With my four ring I can get 50 lts to the boil in about twenty minutes. I also use a second keg for boiling up to six crays at a time also in about twenty minutes

My point is people like to make blanket statements. My camp stove has a flexible hose, no reg, control is on the burner on the stove, hose has full pressure as long as the bottle is opened. Not everyones situation is the same and people making blanket statements without all required info really gets up my nose.

i wasnt making a blanket satement, heck i dont even use them, i just dot get how/why they would not have some sort of pressure regulation? In the case of these devices directly attatching to the bottle, are you sure they dont have their onw internal regulator? Say, like most benchtop stoves have etc?

I can understand runing off one of those small butane sprycan style canisters but not off a 5kg gas bottle. just interested to know if you know the theory behind it (besides small jet holes/resisitance. they's have to be pretty darn small holes and really strong fittings), i wouldnt want some backdraft in that case!

Sorry Fourstar, that wasn't aimed at you.
i wasnt making a blanket satement, heck i dont even use them, i just dot get how/why they would not have some sort of pressure regulation? In the case of these devices directly attatching to the bottle, are you sure they dont have their onw internal regulator? Say, like most benchtop stoves have etc?

I can understand runing off one of those small butane sprycan style canisters but not off a 5kg gas bottle. just interested to know if you know the theory behind it (besides small jet holes/resisitance. they's have to be pretty darn small holes and really strong fittings), i wouldnt want some backdraft in that case!

Sorry Fourstar, that wasn't aimed at you.

*/Me raises hand sheepishly*

I'll admit when I'm wrong... when proven so :)
Although, my inaccurate blanket statement did follow a declaration that I was far from knowledgable in the area. I was just concerned someone might decided to remove the reg from a system, which others have agreed wouldn't be wise even if it's not for the same reason I initially raised it.

I have a 4 ring burner and if it is one bought from a camping shop I'd say your 2 ring is the baby of the range. There is air control on these, so open it up don't close it. I boil my wort of around 30Lt with only my 2nd ring on full. I do use ring 2 and 3 to get it up to the boil. Standard reg. I also sit my keg on the burner itself not raised in any way.

Portable camping gas is NOT the same mixture as your standard BBQ LPG gas you find in the 9kg cyclinders. IT is generally butane or butane/propane mix which has a higher boiling point and subsequently has a lower ambient pressure than your LPG cylinder gas.

Back