Newbie First Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad.

Reaction score
Okay fellas, I'm a novice with brewing so bear with me
My lovely wife bought me a Grainfather for my birthday recently and I've banged on my first brew with it, which was a Hefeweizen. I've got a deep freezer I'm currently fermenting in that's been set at 22*C for the past two weeks (using a Kegking temperature controller thingo with the temp probe taped 1/3 from the bottom of the fermenter.) SG was 1.052 and I've been stable at 1.012 for the past week.
Aroma and taste seems to be quiet palatable at the moment, definitely has that banana aftertaste, however the clarity leaves a lot to be desired although I understand that these types of beer seem to lack a lot of clarity anyway?
What I'm thinking is to cold crash for the next 5 days at 2/3 degrees C, still in the primary, then kegging and force carbonating and I might be good for a Xmas brew?
Whats the general consensus here, am I pushing it too early? should I leave this settle for a while or transfer to a secondary and aim for a new years brew instead?
I do apologize is these questions seem rudimentary, however as I have stated I'm new to brewing, that said I'm quiet good at the drinking part!

I wouldn't worry too much, sounds like you've got a handle on things, I'd just go with the cc and not worry about the transfer to secondary but that is probably more personal preference some of the more experienced brewers about may have some better advice though.

Oh, and welcome aboard mate.

Thanks Fellas. I've taken it to cc now. I'll stick to my plan and see how it ends up.
Normally I'd just shoot from the hip and learn from my mistakes, however my younger brother has been extract brewing for a few years now and Xmas has turned into a p*ssing contest!
Allegedly my first brew will be a complete and utter balls up (according to the bro) so I'm hoping to bring something to the table that'll let him him know I'm not f#$king around!

I reckon that no matter how good it is, your bro will bag it anyway. Best to send out a sample for independent analysis. I, of course, graciously accept.

Your wife bought you a Grainfather and you are allowed to have a freezer allocated for fermenting? Sounds like a keeper!!

Back