New Yeast Blend From Cb - Tell Us More, Ross

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bribie,

No secret, just a blend we use a lot of on our in house beers that we thought we's make available to others.

As many know I'm a great lover of Windsor yeast in my british ales, but the poor attenuation can be a pita when making anything but low alcohol beers.
We have therefore blended it with US-05 for better attenuation. The resultant beers have the nice esters of the Windsor, but finish drier.
We have used in bitters & IPA's to good effect.

cheers Ross

I've never used Windsor as I heard that it's a bitch to clear, or is that an urban myth? I've also used US-05 for an English bitter when I was absolutely stuck for a yeast and it turned out pretty meh. However - assuming that Windsor doesn't take forever to clear out, this combo sounds like the best of both worlds.

Not sure where you heard that from Michael.... Windsor drops quicker & brighter than any other dry yeast on the market in my experience.

Cheers Ross

I'll try the new yeast next time I do a Southern Style ESB - sounds like a cracker. :icon_cheers:

I've never used Windsor as I heard that it's a bitch to clear, or is that an urban myth? I've also used US-05 for an English bitter when I was absolutely stuck for a yeast and it turned out pretty meh. However - assuming that Windsor doesn't take forever to clear out, this combo sounds like the best of both worlds.

Bribie i just tapped the second keg of my mild that was fermented with windsor, cold crashed then gelatine in the keg. 2 weeks on gas and the second glass (schooner) is bright and clear. Windsor is a good yeast. edit.. Looking forward to using the CB blend on a bitter.

Cheers

Are you using equal amounts of each yeast Ross? Or more of one than the other?

Jim

Vraiment, Neville,

Vive le US-05 - Fabrique par Fermentis business unit du Groupe Lesaffre leader mondial dans la production de levure. Levure innovante, levure pour bires, alcools ferments, ...

Mind that doesn't stop the pom home brewers going through a shedload of it :rolleyes:

Are you using equal amounts of each yeast Ross? Or more of one than the other?

Jim

Jeez... you want all the trade secrets :ph34r:

no probs.... It's roughly a 50/50 mix :)

Cheers Ross

So.. has anyone made any brews with this blend? I just got hold of a couple of sachets to try in some best bitters with Challenger. I'm hoping for lots of esters and marmalede :icon_drool2:

Geez Pete.... Nothing better to do than shit-stir now the Broncos are out of the final...? ;)

Latest posts

Back