New To Kegging

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mick8882003

Reaction score
I am wondering what the pressure you need to keep a keg of beer gassed, I have sussed out the carbonation and I think I have a fair idea of the serving pressure but I am not sure of the storage pressure, so it doesn't loose carbonation.

Can you keep carbonation pretty well turning up the regulator?

Cheers and beers Mick C

OK - I run a Balanced System - gas at 100-120kpa and pour at the same.
I leave the beer in the keg at Fridge temps connected at the same pressure.

I also leave my gas connected and on all the time.

I find taht if I gas at 200kpa and pour at 120 kpa - i get alot of bubbles - and unless i dial back to 200kpa overnight i have problems - hence running a balanced system.

Hope this helps.

if you have you system balanced correctly just keep the keg at serving pressure and that will keep the carbonation.

You get good carbonation for the whole keg? Sounds better than playing with the regulator all the time.

Mick, I put my kegs on @ about 300kpa for 48hours tops, then disconnect, vent the keg and turn the pressure down to between 80 and 100 kpa. Reconnect the keg and serve. The first day or so it might be a little flat, but after that it's all good.

I've got variable taps now, but with my previous non-variable single tap I had the right length of beer line for that pressure and it was all good.

I gave up on the forced carbonation method as I could never get it right. Now it's just a matter of planning. Put the keg on the gas Wed night and it's ready for the Friday arvo session ^_^

Thanks guys, the fridge gets here early next week, hopefully, let the experiments begin :)

cheers and beers

Basically if your system doesn't leak you can keep the gas on the pressure that is suitable for beer style->
In a week and a bit it'll be perfectly carbonated.

I keep mine at 110 Kpa at 5 degrees with gas on all time/ balanced system.

The force carbonation is ok if you are in a hurry but IMO its is easy to over carbonate and end up with beer in your regulator unless you remember to disconnect or have a non return valve fitted on.. :eek:

Mick, I put my kegs on @ about 300kpa for 48hours tops, then disconnect, vent the keg and turn the pressure down to between 80 and 100 kpa. Reconnect the keg and serve. The first day or so it might be a little flat, but after that it's all good.

I've got variable taps now, but with my previous non-variable single tap I had the right length of beer line for that pressure and it was all good.

I gave up on the forced carbonation method as I could never get it right. Now it's just a matter of planning. Put the keg on the gas Wed night and it's ready for the Friday arvo session

Hey Mick, guess what...that is force carbonating. Thats what I do but there is no need to vent, just do 350 for 24 hours and turn off the bottle and it will drop to approx serve pressure over the next 12 hours or so anyway.
As long as what you do works I guess. I never went in for that shaking up the keg thing though. You should not need a beer that bad.

Steve

... guess what...that is force carbonating.

Sorry, I should have said that I gave up on the "Ross" method of forced carbonation with the shaking and the waiting and the shaking and the beer foam fountains and the venting and the shaking and ......

;)
My back does not like lifting kegs around much these days, so I fill the kegs in the chest freezer.

Steve

Hey Mick, guess what...that is force carbonating. Thats what I do but there is no need to vent, just do 350 for 24 hours and turn off the bottle and it will drop to approx serve pressure over the next 12 hours or so anyway.
As long as what you do works I guess. I never went in for that shaking up the keg thing though. You should not need a beer that bad.

Steve
Hey SJW, not sure about you but i've filled my keg a bit too high once... or twice. I had the pressure at 250kpa for 2 days, dropped it back to 100kpa without venting. The beer from one keg shot into the gas lines. It looked like the beer was attempting to migrate into the other keg which I assume wasn't fully pressured at 250kpa. Non return valves are good investments.

+1 for a non return valve, its not worth risking not having one for the sake of like $15

Latest posts

Back