New To Brewing Idea's

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alright, So just about to buy some ingredients!

Now im buying from craftbrew as i have NO IDEA where the LHBS is in canberra.

Im assuming i need to "mill" the grains? what would be the best way of doing this?

Re: "...Now im buying from craftbrew as i have NO IDEA where the LHBS is in canberra..."
Kambah shopping centre. Behind Woolies.

Cheers, 25 hrs still no airlock movement should I be worried? Personally was fun and fairly easy. Hopefully turns out well have it stable at 17 degrees :)

Cheers, 25 hrs still no airlock movement should I be worried? Personally was fun and fairly easy. Hopefully turns out well have it stable at 17 degrees :)

Condensation on the inside of lid? some froth forming on surface of brew? May not see any airlock activity until 48 hrs .

Try pressing down on the lid and see if the airlock bubbles then you know you have a seal. Don't worry should be fine.

Have a seal have some foam and have some movement!! Baby is on her way! Thanks for all your guys help have learnt heaps through guidance and doing it. Last question planning on a secondary to help clear up some sedementaation. Does secondary need a airlock? And dry hop in primary or can I do It in secondary?

Thanks again a lot.

Do it all in the Primary no need for secondary the sediment from the yeast will settle down to the bottom.
Dry hop the Primary after about 4 days when the fermentation slows down.

if you are dead keen to go to a secondary then I suggest doing it around day 4, when SG reading is around 1012-1014, nearly finished but still with a little to do.
I find this continues to create some CO2 which will help to keep oxygen out of your brew.

As has been said there is no need to go to secondary and I find that there is no benefit to gain....but plenty of infection risk.....I stopped going to secondary unless I was desperate to get hold of the FV for another batch. Avoid it if you can.

No problem will take your guys word! just went down to the local had a JS Golden Ale. Its weird how much different a beer tastes once you know all the flavours and can taste each element. its fantastic. noticed a similar smell to mine which made me happy!

Pretty keen for about 3 weeks once the bottles are carbed!

okay so as per usual, more questions.

What im curious is how sanitary does the dry hopping have to be? for example if i am just chucking a bag of hops in should i santazie the bag first etc?

or am i pretty safe to just chuck a bag in?

Cheers

all going well so far, will dry hop today. anything important i should know? im assuming bag should be sterile?

if its a 'T' bag from LHBS you will be right.
if its oone of your own, throw it in some boiling water for 10 minutes before using.

15G dry hop added took a reading while at it at 1.020 SG so still a bit but probably ready to bottle Friday I would say

Bit more reading maybe not bottle Friday. How long should primary roughly be?

So ill post this for anyone intrested, i bottled the golden ale, its been carbing for about 8 days and i tried one.

OMG good beer. biggest downfall really is i think it needs some more maturity it still has a very new yeasty taste kind of like when you taste undercooked bread and can almost taste the yeast, other then that i think its bloody good.

Got a ruby red ale going at the moment also and about to throw down a FAT YAK and probably something similar to a Koziosko pale ale.

I just want to thank everyone who helped along the way.

I have more questions but i will make a thread ask them all at once as i think some may be worth a good lengthy discussion.

Back