New Sodastream Lower Capacity Co2 Cylinders

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afromaiko

Incredibly Strong Ales
Reaction score
SodaStream are changing over to new CO2 cylinders and have reduced their capacity from 330gms of gas down to 312gms, while still claiming that they carbonate 40L of soft drink.

I have only seen the new cylinder through the window of a package, so haven't been able to do a proper comparison with the current bottles. But I have heard that there have been some changes to the cylinder itself too.

If anyone picks one up please let us know the differences. I fear that our 330gms are going to be swapped over for the smaller ones next time we take them in for a refill and there is nothing we'll be able to do about it.

It would be interesting to see if the price of refills goes up or stays the same. Is this another victim of the 'grocery shrink ray'?

Sounds like the shrinking beer bottle racket as well. I was in the bottlo yesterday getting a few honest Bavarias and noticed that Hahn Extra Dry is in tallies labelled "Huge 700 ml" Huge? (we should have an emoticon for w&nkers <_< ). Until fairly recently Fosters Group tallies were 800ml then they snuck them back down to 750.

While we're on the subject I honestly think that many craftbrewers aren't doing themselves a favour by almost invariably packaging their beers in 330ml bottles. If they had stuck to standard 375ml Australian Stubbies I feel personally they would have made greater inroads than they have. For many mainstream VB etc drinkers, dainty little packs of 330ml bottles come across as metrosexual at best. My 2c.

Edit: if you go to 1st Choice or Dan's and look at the pom section they are nearly all in pint bottles or good solid half litre cans. Move to the Aus specialty section and its 330 ml as far as the eye can see.

Now, about the number of sheets in toilet rolls................... :rolleyes:

(we should have an emoticon for w&nkers <_< ).

we do ;)

jerkit.gif

ALDI are selling the smaller capacity Soda-Stream bottles at present for under 50 bucks, comes with a gas cylinder that makes "30L" of drink.

holllldd up
do u guys carbonate with a soda stream?
and since when do they refill those mini c02's
dont u get em in packs of 10.?

BribieG

Slightly OT but-

Unfortunately I think thats not the craft brewers fault, its down to what sort of bottles they can buy, with out having to order several squillion.

The big makers own their bottle moulds, small brewers are stuck with whats available off the shelf and frankly there is stuff all to choose from.

If you go to a good bottle shop I think you will see that there are really only a couple of bottle designs being used by craft brewers.

Personally I love the 500 mL Euro size gives me that just right amount, every time.

Have a great 09

MHB

we do ;)

jerkit.gif

ALDI are selling the smaller capacity Soda-Stream bottles at present for under 50 bucks, comes with a gas cylinder that makes "30L" of drink.

I remember the other thread touching on this, The Aldi catalogue text said 30L.

But I'm pretty sure the cylinder I saw still said 40L on the label even though it was now down to 312gms.

holllldd up

soda%20club%20cylinder.jpg

they're huge, do a search on here. They are used for dispensing.

holllldd up

Do not confuse the SodaStream brand CO2 cylinders with the tiny 'soda syphon' bulbs that come in boxes of 10 or so.

While we're on the subject I honestly think that many craftbrewers aren't doing themselves a favour by almost invariably packaging their beers in 330ml bottles. If they had stuck to standard 375ml Australian Stubbies I feel personally they would have made greater inroads than they have. For many mainstream VB etc drinkers, dainty little packs of 330ml bottles come across as metrosexual at best. My 2c.

NZ has been packaging mainstream beers in 330ml bottles for years now, however our craftbeer market are mainly 500ml euro style bottles. Or you can get the "swappa crate" 750ml bottles if you want them.

Back