Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating:

1. We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.
    Dismiss Notice

New research on dry yeast

Discussion in 'Yeast' started by nosco, 13/5/18.

1. Muzzanthrope

Posted 29/6/18
    I meant more how are you currently removing the Chlorine from your water? But one thing you did mention was your new pH meter - as well as removing the Chlorine from your water I would also take a look at your mash pH to make sure it's not too high.

2. Rocker1986

Posted 29/6/18
    The mineral additions need to suit the style of beer you're brewing as well. You can't just use the same additions for every style and expect them all to turn out great. If I used the same minerals for a pilsner that I do for a pale ale it'd be shit. You can always adjust mash pH with acid or acidulated malt if required, it doesn't have to be done with mineral salt additions. The pH of the water is largely irrelevant to the mash pH anyway, you need to measure the mash pH and adjust that, not the water itself.

I'm in a situation now where I'm sick of guessing the tap water profile based on vague reports found online from a year or two ago so I've decided to just distill all the water I use and build profiles from scratch for every batch (previously only did this with pilsners to get very soft water like your profile there). I'll be trying this on a brown ale next, and after that a pale ale. It'll be interesting to compare to the same beers brewed with tap water and somewhat guessed additions. If there's no real difference then I won't bother continuing it, but if they improve then I will keep it up.

3. Schikitar

Posted 29/6/18
    Oh right, I'm not currently.

I'll definitely do this on the next brew!

Yeah, that's why I didn't list the amounts of the additions as they do vary - I exclusively make anything between hop forward ales through to american stouts - I don't brew lagers, pilsners etc., as they don't appeal to my uneducated palate. I also like anchovies, olives and jalapenos on my pizza! ;)

I was going to post earlier that I have kinda gone full circle on yeast, went from dry to liquid and back to dry rehydrated. Have had similar results between the last two but the lag time is definitely shorter with a liquid starter - hard to beat the convenience of rehydrating though..

4. Digga

Posted 29/6/18
    Hahahahaha I’d much rather prefer to go in wet than dry! Hahahaha

5. munta

Posted 29/6/18
    Spit on it and slam it in

6. Quokka42

Bum Crack Display.
    Posted 29/6/18
    I will not reply to the untermenschen, but please, let's leave the kiddy toilet humour out?

I'm sorry I dropped out of the loop due to trolls for a while, but really happy to see you have stood the tide Kelsey - and I think you have actually grown as well. Not that I think you were lacking before - you might even know who I am from another forum, and that I am not afraid to admit I am wrong, 'though I sometimes get a little vehement when I am not and under attack. I really appreciate the valid, authenticated references you have provided - I might not be able to convince anyone else, but at least I feel privately vindicated.

Rocker1986 and Muzzanthrope like this.
  7. Muzzanthrope

Posted 29/6/18

Last edited: 29/6/18
  8. MHB

Posted 29/6/18
    Who exactly do you regard as sub-human?
    Are you a fully paid-up member of the master race, seriously playing the old Nazi card is often the last resort of a lefty on the loosing side of an argument, I don't know what putting on the mantle says about anybody but suspect its nothing good.

9. fungrel

Moderator Staff Member Moderating

IT Wench
    Posted 29/6/18
    Chap, brewgasm, CJW and 2 others like this.
  10. brewgasm

Posted 30/6/18
    I have only rehydrated a few times in 50 odd batches. Not out of laziness but when I started brewing it was just to keep it simple, minimise risk of infection ect.. The few times I did rehydrate I wasn't really impressed with the results so I just stuck with the dry pitch and never really gave it much more thought.

I'm going to knock up a quick kit and kilo tomorrow and I'm seriously thinking about rehydrating for a change.

11. jackgym

Posted 30/6/18
  12. brewgasm

Posted 1/7/18
    Rehydrated 3 packets of bry-97 today, gotta say for a habitual dry pitcher it wasn't really much extra effort to be honest. One thing that I would like to know is what is best practice for getting the slurry down to wort temp?

13. Rocker1986

Posted 1/7/18
    What I've read is usually just adding small amounts of cooler water or wort to slowly bring the temp down. It doesn't have to be exactly the same as the wort temp, within 5C should be ok.

brewgasm likes this.
  14. brewgasm

Posted 5/7/18
    Thanks, that makes sense to me. I don't know if it is related to rehydration but BRY-97 is a monster! Yesterday (day 4) I had to clean up the top of the fermentor remove, clean and sanitise to airlock. About 10 hours later I found my airlock had been blown apart and spatter about the place so I had to replace the airlock with a blow off tube. The beast is still quite angry this morning but is contained. I am slightly worried about the contamination risk but I can't turn back time. Next time I use this yeast which will probably be next batch lol going to use the blow off tube from the start.

Rocker1986 and MHB like this.
  15. Rocker1986

Posted 5/7/18
    Hahah! I've only used that yeast once and didn't experience anything like that. I can't remember if I rehydrated it or not now, but I probably did. Another thing I didn't experience with it which seems quite common, is a really long lag time. Krausen was evident in 24 hours or less. I've seen a number of comments on it taking 2 days or more.

brewgasm likes this.
  16. Leyther

Posted 5/7/18
    Ive used BRY-97 a lot, I have seen this but only once, generally its just a standard type ferment however I use a blow off most of the time these days just in case.

brewgasm likes this.
  17. brewgasm

Posted 5/7/18
    I pitched at 18° for an 18° ferm so I was expecting a significant lag time. It was showing signs of fermentation 24hrs later (krausen was about 5mm and airlock showing pressure) it just kept climbing and by day 4 it was coming out of airlock.

I did use a dose of yeast nutrients (1.5 tsp in 60l of wort) and did have a sg of 1.060. I'm not sure if that makes a difference. Maybe I was lucky enough to get fresh yeast that was stored well.

18. brewgasm

Posted 5/7/18
    Might be a good idea to use a blow off tube from now on , I have used them in the past. I intend on using the same yeast in the next batch :)

19. hooper80

Posted 14/8/18
    When u say warm yeast, what temp ya talking?

20. Thomas Wood

Front End Developer
    Posted 15/8/18
    I always rehydrate my yeast before pitching, but I don't think I have had a lag time less than 48hrs, most taking 60hrs before the iSpindel starts showing any signs of activity. Am I rehydrating too warm possibly?

Draft saved Draft deleted