New Pom

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DennisKing

Reaction score
Hi all I`m joining you from a cold England. Saw this site mentioned in the new Graham Wheeler book just out in the UK. Been brewing AG for over 30 years and intrested in what you guys are doing the other side off the world.

Welcome DennisKing,
Wow 30 years be interesting to see what you guys do over there too.

KHB

Hi all I`m joining you from a cold England. Saw this site mentioned in the new Graham Wheeler book just out in the UK. Been brewing AG for over 30 years and intrested in what you guys are doing the other side off the world.

I'll trade you the cold weather! Another 40+ day today, haven't brewed in a while because of it - supposed to be a cool change this week so next saturday......

30 years beats the hell out of my one! I know there are some different methods UK brewers have done over the years so would be interesting to see/describe your setup.

In a nutshell I tend to make English style bitters and ales , mash in a converted cool box. Fly sparge boil etc. All ways use liquid yeast mainly white labs. Serve from a polypin. Normally brew 23lts every 2 weeks just keeps me in beer.

In a nutshell I tend to make English style bitters and ales , mash in a converted cool box. Fly sparge boil etc. All ways use liquid yeast mainly white labs. Serve from a polypin. Normally brew 23lts every 2 weeks just keeps me in beer.

So it sounds pretty much the "typical" esky set up alot of people use at the moment, and one I am moving to from my current BIAB (Brew in a Bag) setup.

Polypin?

Welcome to this forum.

I assume you might also participate in Jim's Beer Kit Forum? It seems to be the foremost UK forum?
There's a few of us from here who lurk there occasionally also.

Welcome Dennis, I communicate with a family member in Blackpool early am here via Skype, and he's been freezing too. He is having a little stay in hospital ATM, hope the heating is up to scratch :)

We are just as interested to see what brewers are up to over there, have been watching the "OZ and James Drink to Britain" series off BBC and have seen a little of what is available in the way of home brew kit.

Cheers,

Screwy

Hi Dennis: ex Yorkshireman / Geordie here.

Would give my left leg for a Bruheat masher/boiler and a couple of pressure barrels, you lucky buggers!

I used to make magnificent brews using the above equipment living in a bedsitter in Cardiff in the late 70s :super:

Currently I am doing sort of an equivalent brewing method using a 40 litre electric urn as used in the catering trade except that I had to pay GBP 150 for it.

1134012008_birko.jpg

I have had a bag made to fit (I believe you can get the same thing ready made for a Bruheat) and use the brew in a bag (BIAB) method which is becoming more popular here. Currently making Yorkshire bitters with Thomas Fawcett floor malted Maris Otter, genuine West Yorkshire liquid yeast from WYeast and East Kent Goldings. The Fuggles come from New Zealand however..

Send us some snow, mate :p

Edit: The Northern Brewery (Hull) went on to a mega-polypin set up in the 70s using basically a huge polypins that delivered the beer to the bar using air pressure. Had a few pints in Scarborough years ago but then they got taken over and shut down by Mansfield who got well screwed over by Wolverhampton and Dudley. However polypins are a great idea for UK beers / temperatures.

Hi Dennis: ex Yorkshireman / Geordie here.

G'day Bribie - you're either one or the other! Glad Im not either of em :p

G'day Dennis, welcome to AHB from an old Lancashire lad (Morecambe). We are a very multi cultural bunch on here. I wouldnt mind some of your weather too at the moment. Where abouts in pommie land are you from? Too hot to brew out the back today (39 degrees). I was all geared up for it too.
Cheers and welcome
Steve

G'day Bribie - you're either one or the other! Glad Im not either of em :p

Born in Pontefract to a Yorkshire Mam and Geordie Dad (until the end of their lives my two granddads could only hold very limited halting conversations with each other due to the dialects and the grandmothers didn't even try). Spent most of my childhood in Newcastle on a council estate but spent all my school holidays in Yorkshire and could whack on a magnificent Barnsley accent. Moved to Wales in my Teens, married into a pure Welsh family and can also do a Tom Jones like you wouldn't believe. I've always felt much more at home in Yorkshire and love the sense of humour.

How's t'missus?
Fartings stopped
Thats Grand
Aye, bury er Friday

Born in Pontefract to a Yorkshire Mam and Geordie Dad (until the end of their lives my two granddads could only hold very limited halting conversations with each other due to the dialects and the grandmothers didn't even try). Spent most of my childhood in Newcastle on a council estate but spent all my school holidays in Yorkshire and could whack on a magnificent Barnsley accent. Moved to Wales in my Teens, married into a pure Welsh family and can also do a Tom Jones like you wouldn't believe. I've always felt much more at home in Yorkshire and love the sense of humour.

How's t'missus?
Fartings stopped
Thats Grand
Aye, bury er Friday
:lol:

Poms are funny.

Some are.
Dick Emery wasn`t. :(

stagga.
edit....come to think of it, neither were the Kray bros. either.
Not that I would have been telling them that. :lol:

Back