New kid on the block...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewed_Force

Reaction score
Hi everyone, new to this forum but have been brewing for about 5 years. Started off with plain Coopers kits, then pimping the kits, then extract brewing, then took a leap into BIAB all-grain, and have now gone back to extract brewing, aiming for a more consistent end product (and an easier brew day). Based in UK but find you guys down under are more knowledgeable about extract brewing.

Welcome! How was your BIAB all-grain?

Welcome! How was your BIAB all-grain?
I did about 8-9 brews using BIAB, in a 20L Swan tea urn. The end result wasn't great and I wasn't getting much enjoyment out of it. Looking over my brewing logs I found that my best results were from extract that I did a couple of years ago. Hence my return to that way of brewing (and it makes the brew day a lot shorter and easier). Got a Festbier conditioning in bottles and should be ready later this week.

I did about 8-9 brews using BIAB, in a 20L Swan tea urn. The end result wasn't great and I wasn't getting much enjoyment out of it. Looking over my brewing logs I found that my best results were from extract that I did a couple of years ago. Hence my return to that way of brewing (and it makes the brew day a lot shorter and easier). Got a Festbier conditioning in bottles and should be ready later this week.
Thanks. Sorry to hear it. Part of the journey?

Absolutely! I have enjoyed building my own recipes, and even with extract I can still create most styles using additional steeped grains.
Another advantage is that I can now use a medium stockpot on the kitchen stove instead of setting up the urn outside (not fun in winter...).

Fantastic!

Simpler and convenient?

The festbier turned out quite good! The clarity isn't great which I think was caused during the transfer to the bottling bucket, the siphon filter dragged through the trub and sucked up particles that were smaller than the filter mesh.
Onwards and upwards, it's all part of the learning process!

Does it really affect the taste that much? Sure, it will be much better next time. Have fun.

Back