New player in Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Les the Weizguy said:
It appears that our old mate who once worked for Wyeast, Jess Caudill is one of the primaries of this new company. I recognise Owen's name as well.
Maybe it's the fallout after Dave Logsdon left to go brewing?

A little careful rebranding of strains, and some re-jigging of promotional material, and a new-look packaging deployment.
Now, you can produce certified organic beer with this product, and so attract and retain some niche market segment, if you desire.

I wish them the best of luck.
With the Seibel Institute US$100 odd will get you a sample of any strain you want on a slide, then you are off to reculture and produce whatever brand you want. Anyone with a degree in microbiology could do this.

Here is a big hint Ross@craftbrewer!...... Hire a young microbiology graduate, buy some slides, get culturing, get it packaged on contract by the local Yahkult packaging plant and sell four Yahkult sized tubs for $20, each tub should be enough for one brew after a starter, or two tubs for direct pitch.

I only ask for 10% commission.

They are very responsive today.
I contacted via their webform and received a positive reply from Owen regarding the addition of Celsius temps for their yeasts' preferred operating conditions.

Ducatiboy stu said:
So what do I do with my non organic starter....
Just turf it, it's so yesterday...
Probably full of pesticides and inorganic yeast nutrients.
Better off without it. Join the hipster revolution!

Canning makes sense. Fresh recycled yeast.
Bring in the Brew geeks. It sounds like a sensible feed into home brewing on a larger scale? Fantasize that shit.
Temperature variations are the final assault on the canned isn't it? Like any other yeast option.

Les the Weizguy said:
Just turf it, it's so yesterday...
Probably full of pesticides and inorganic yeast nutrients.
Better off without it. Join the hipster revolution!
Does that mean I need to grow a pathetic beard, wear tight light brown jeans with volleys and call my beer some wanky name

Oi,stop picking on Volleys . They're an icon.
Beard,light brown jeans and a wanky named beer are optional...nah the last 3 can piss off.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Does that mean I need to grow a pathetic beard, wear tight light brown jeans with volleys and call my beer some wanky name
Yes, if it means your profile picture has clothes on!

spog said:
Oi,stop picking on Volleys . They're an icon.
Beard,light brown jeans and a wanky named beer are optional...nah the last 3 can piss off.
Damn ...... I got a beard , own some light brown pants and have started naming my beers ( to tell them apart )

Wondered why the dickheads in freo were calling me " some sort of hipster "

No volleys but

Spiesy said:
Exchange rate is also current below 70c, so you can add another 30% there.
Sorry Spiesy. Can't help myself. Working in percentages seems so intuitive, doesn't it? At an exchange rate of 70, I think you'll find you need to add about 42.857%. :blink:

antiphile said:
Sorry Spiesy. Can't help myself. Working in percentages seems so intuitive, doesn't it? At an exchange rate of 70, I think you'll find you need to add about 42.857%. :blink:
About?? hahaha.
Yep, thats it. An explanation for those wanting it. When its at 70, you need to add 30c to make a dollar. 30c is 42.857% of 70c.

For real ease of numbers, if we are at 50c, you need to add another 50c which is 100% more, not 50% more.

Ducatiboy stu said:
So what do I do with my non organic starter....
Dehydrate it..

So that you can re-hydrate it.

you could split a can and store it and make a starter's,or yeast wash at the end..saves a few $$$ if money is a issue

fraser_john said:
With the Seibel Institute US$100 odd will get you a sample of any strain you want on a slide, then you are off to reculture and produce whatever brand you want. Anyone with a degree in microbiology could do this.

Here is a big hint Ross@craftbrewer!...... Hire a young microbiology graduate, buy some slides, get culturing, get it packaged on contract by the local Yahkult packaging plant and sell four Yahkult sized tubs for $20, each tub should be enough for one brew after a starter, or two tubs for direct pitch.

I only ask for 10% commission.
That's more or less what a couple of grad students did in WA a few years ago. I think the name was Proculture and the product was fantastic - Nev sold the stuff. Then they stopped doing it and went on to develop flying cars or something.
The culture came in a single vial.

Just wondering about the canning process. I assume they just use a crimp method and not heat welding on the can

I don't think heat welding is used in can manufacturing these day's, I believe it's all double seam crimping.

Latest posts

Back