New player in Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bugger me blind. All this time I thought all yeast was organic matter.

Ooooh it's organic! Not like those FASCIST, GMO-RIDDEN NON-ORGANIC Big Yeast companies, lacing my beers with poison and lining the pockets of the corporate masses!
Sorry, I get annoyed by the use of the word organic because it reminds me of crude oil, a completely organic compound.

Interestingly some of the yeast strains appear to be in wide use already ("The world’s most popular lager strain is ready for you", "Brewers swear by this strain to achieve super bright ales in a short amount of time"). Are they using existing strains, producing them to obtain the organic certification and re-labelling? I like the can idea and the fact it's 150ml of yeast. I'm assuming the cans are not 150 megalitre as they are labelled.

and 200 Billion yeast cells per can :D

Would be good to import some.

I'd be keen to try some. Especially at 200B cells. Would make stepping up quicker.

No mention of attenuation estimates. Massive, frustrating fail.
Also, use of hipsterish names = fail.

Otherwise it's very interesting to see a new player in the yeast sector. I'll be curious to see how different their strains are from the others or if, as Wiggman queries, whether they're regular strains that have simply been produced organically.
They can certainly write a good spiel!
What's with the can? Is it meant to contain the appropriate dose to inoculate a single 21L batch? Looks bigger than that to me.
Any suppliers around here looking to stock them?

Ps, @Wiggman: now you can stop producing those nasty inorganic beers!

It's always good to know alcohol tolerance as well. Hopefully with time they'll put that up with attenuation.

Nice to see new players in the yeast market though.

Pratty1 said:
and 200 Billion yeast cells per can :D

Would be good to import some.
Good luck with customs and the stupendous freight charges for express shipping ex-US.

When shipping in the likes of Wyeast or White Labs, your landed cost is often increased 100-130% with freight charges (and that's with a reasonable sized order). Exchange rate is also current below 70c, so you can add another 30% there. Then you have to hope that customs don't hold your order - it happens.

I know that some local retailers approached these guys when they were exhibiting at the US Homebrew Conference months back, but I don't believe anything came of it.

I would love to see the can filler that fills those...

I also doubt that it will be 200B cells by the time it makes its way from the good old US of A.... that will be a bit of a headache for them to guarantee! At least White Labs are honest and say they can't really say as it depends on the ambient conditions etc...

It appears that our old mate who once worked for Wyeast, Jess Caudill is one of the primaries of this new company. I recognise Owen's name as well.
Maybe it's the fallout after Dave Logsdon left to go brewing?

A little careful rebranding of strains, and some re-jigging of promotional material, and a new-look packaging deployment.
Now, you can produce certified organic beer with this product, and so attract and retain some niche market segment, if you desire.

I wish them the best of luck.

100ml = 100B cells for Wyeast and Whitelabs
150ml = 200B cells for Imperial

Denser yeast?

So I assume these yeasts are high in alcohol tolerance and are not treated with pesticides?

Looks good to me, I wonder if any of the retailers who already import Wyeast will get some in?

Latest posts

Back