New PID Build - Help.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Parks said:
Did you say you bought them from eBay or directly through their site? Shouldn't make a difference as I'm somewhat kinda maybe sure they are the same but...

I have had parcels lost over the years and maybe ended up at the local post office?
I brought them direct from Auberins and their tracking says it left Florida USPS on the 5th June. I might go to the local Post Office and see if they have it.

seamad said:
I received some gear from auberins yesterday, five days from payment to delivery. ;)
Did you pay for express shipping or just standard shipping? Mine was standard shipping which their site says 2-3 weeks. Its been 16 days but others here have recieved theirs already.

seamad said:
Just the standard, was pretty surprised when it turned up.
Shit yeh. I went to Aussie post and they said it hasnt even been received by them yet and Customs could have it.

I phoned Customs and they said Aussie post have a customs holding facility so if it was held up in Customs they would know that...WTF????

Im getting nowhere.

Parks said:
I just ordered one of these which has 120mm external dimensions so *should* be perfect and was $53 delivered.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300920471240

I will report once it arrives...
It turned up this week and the dimensions are perfect. It has some shelves which will make mounting nicer (IMO) as I can mount SSR etc internally instead of to the back or sides. It only has 2 rivets as the hinge (top and bottom) so I might change that to a piano style hinge to make adding some foam seals work better.

Looks like a well constructed box, especially with the corner supports. Are you going to use a fan for your heat sinks or use external heat sinks? The internal heat sinks are a lot cheaper but you should use a small computer fan to keep them cool.

Truman said:
Looks like a well constructed box, especially with the corner supports. Are you going to use a fan for your heat sinks or use external heat sinks? The internal heat sinks are a lot cheaper but you should use a small computer fan to keep them cool.
I seriously doubt the heat power of those SSRs as I was using one hooked to my arduino sitting on a table with no heat sink and it didn't even make the table cloth warm...

I will add an internal heat sink but no fan. I'll only have one.

Parks said:
I seriously doubt the heat power of those SSRs as I was using one hooked to my arduino sitting on a table with no heat sink and it didn't even make the table cloth warm...

I will add an internal heat sink but no fan. I'll only have one.
Yeh fair enough with one it probably wont be a problem. I have 3 of them all close together so added the fan for extra safety.

Parks said:
I just ordered one of these which has 120mm external dimensions so *should* be perfect and was $53 delivered.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300920471240

I will report once it arrives...
How is the medicine box going Parks? I was looking at one of those but went with a weatherproof junction box.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/180936183583?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Got the weatherproof cause most times brew day get messy.

Truman said:
Yeh fair enough with one it probably wont be a problem. I have 3 of them all close together so added the fan for extra safety.

If a professional builds the enclosure, they would never cut a corner and leave the cooling out.

QldKev said:
If a professional builds the enclosure, they would never cut a corner and leave the cooling out.
That entirely depends on the application and I would certainly argue a heat sink is more than adequate cooling for this system. This is based on only ever drawing 10A through for a 2000W element.

If you are (as you guys are doing) pulling much higher wattages than sure, it's warranted.

Back