New PID Build - Help.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Truman said:
Damn it, I wonder where the bloody hell mines got to then.
Did they send you USPS tracking? It only told me when it left the US which was on June 5.

Parks said:
Did they send you USPS tracking? It only told me when it left the US which was on June 5.
Mine departed USPS sort facility in Miami Florida on June 3rd. So I should have received It by now going on how long ours took to arrive.

I ordered a Sestos from eBay on the same day and haven't received that yet either.

Good to go,

The switch was so I can manually power on the element, not necessary if you can power it down to zero on the PID, just would be nice.

The RCA were for the temp probe, http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/temperature-probes

I can pick up a cheapish jiffy box at jaycar or better still an electrical wholesaler. Might check out bunnings as well, thanks Truman

Plan on having a sparky mate check over everything, if there is room for a 240V pump I'm hoping a few frosty tops will persuade him to add it in for me.

I still have no bloody idea how to wire this thing.

You want an XLR plug for your probe not an RCA plug. The RCA plugs are only two wire and the probes have 3 wires. But if you buy the deluxe cable from Auberins you will get a panel mount connector anyway as previously mentioned.

I could post my wiring diagram but its for 2 pids, 3 SSRs, and multiple switches. But I think Kev might have something to suit your setup if you ask him nicely.

Bunnings at Oxley (Brisbane) didn't have any of the small first aid boxes but they most certainly will be a touch small. I measure 98.5mm internal depth required and that will be touching the back panel.

I just ordered one of these which has 120mm external dimensions so *should* be perfect and was $53 delivered.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300920471240

I will report once it arrives...

Sorry, A little off topic but some reliance too.

I just ordered a PID Digital Temperature Controller 0 to 400℃+ K Sensor With 25DA SSR EA. from China. Was this a mistake??

I just ordered one as I wanted to see what it was like before started building a full control system.

This whole home Brewing is now consuming my life, (and money). I now spend far too many hours obsessed with it :blush: . Bought a stir plate, flask and welder today. :D

5150 said:

I just ordered a PID Digital Temperature Controller 0 to 400℃+ K Sensor With 25DA SSR EA. from China. Was this a mistake??

I just ordered one as I wanted to see what it was like before started building a full control system.

This whole home Brewing is now consuming my life, (and money). I now spend far too many hours obsessed with it :blush: . Bought a stir plate, flask and welder today. :D
Been looking at these...... the confusing programming stuff in previous posts is scaring me back to basic BIAB.

5150 said:

Maybe a link could help, there are a few that fit that description.
But the K-Type probes supplied with these are shit. You will need another probe

The Village Idiot said:
Been looking at these...... the confusing programming stuff in previous posts is scaring me back to basic BIAB.
That is nothing like the programmable Auber 2352P pid. It is a single temperature pid. Not really any harder than a stc.

Found an electrical outlet around the corner that does a lot of the switches ssts.. etc

Ill try find their names

5150 said:

The SSR is great. I'm using 6 of them in my current control panel build.

I tested one of those K-Type probes that comes with it, it rusted after the first time it saw water. I never even got around to testing if it was water tight.

Don't know anyone who has used those Rex controllers, it may be ok, but I'm not sure. Reading the page, the pid only supports a K-Type probe. So the RTD pt100 as normally used for brewing will not work. The K-Type are more a wide range probe and don't seem to be as accurate for finer temperature measurements.

Thanks QldKev,

I'll test it out and see what it's like and report back if it was all a waste of a lobster. :unsure:

I've been watching your and Trumans build, very nice.

I'm still waiting for my ******* Auberins pid. Just sayin

I bought a Chinese PiD from ebay and apart from the instructions it is ok. If you want a ramp/soak function then go Auberin.
If you buy a Chines one make sure it supports a PT 100 sensor ( as Kev said ) and if you buy a Chinese PT 100 then replace the nut on it with a stainless one as that is what started to rust on mine.
I checked the sensor probe and the body with a magnet and they are stainless but the nut is chrome steel and rusts after a few uses.
The Chinese really lat themselves down at times as a stainless nut cost 20cents.

Cheers

Truman said:

I think your local delivery man may be a brewer :unsure:

Truman said:
Did you say you bought them from eBay or directly through their site? Shouldn't make a difference as I'm somewhat kinda maybe sure they are the same but...

I have had parcels lost over the years and maybe ended up at the local post office?

5150 said:
If you look at the pictures of the unit, the sticker on the side states Type K, but if you look at the other sticker showing the wiring diagram and terminals, it shows an RTD (PT100) can be connected to terminals 12, 13 and 14. If thats the one they send you, you may be ok.
On the subject of PT100 probes I have bought a few from Procon- products from Ebay, never had any rusting or failures. Been going strong for around 5 years. I did buy a cheaper one from a different supplier, when I installed it, wort came out the end of the probe where the wires exit, it was not water tight. All the procon ones I have bought are, I install them straight into the mash, HLT, kettle and herms without thermowells. All they require is an 8 mm hole, stainless flat washers and silicon baking tray seals.

The PID sensor that I have came from Uxcell on ebay just for everyone's info. Probe is 50 mm long and cost about $7.50.
The Procon one sounds the go..

Cheers

Back