New Paddle/spoon Needed - Suggestions?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brettprevans

HB so good, it will raise the dead
Reaction score
After 13 brews my long plastic spoon/paddle has broken. (ok so I broke it last night while trying to 'unbend' the nasty bend it had developed)

Anyway it means I get to shop for some new equipment :D

I know G&G has a 60cm ss paddle for $25 (then add $10 for p&h). That might be the go, in lieu of any other suggestions of where/what to buy.

Well being the stingy bugger I tend to be, I grabbed a nice aluminium BBQ paddle thingy from the Vinnies store for 50c! Sure beats spending $35 on a spoon ;)

Cheers

Or get Pete to make you one :ph34r:

I've seen his, and it is a thing of beauty... all SS (dare I say it for fear of being "gunned down in 'The Hood'") BLING BABY

;)

If you have a drill, saw and a couple of spade bits and some glue you can make one of these

MashPaddleSmall1.JPG

Or one of these

MyTraditionalMashPaddleSmall1.JPG

out of tassie oak dowell or offcuts from Bunnings for between $6 and $15.

made mine from SS. I got some 3/4 inch pipe and sloted some bent up and drilled 1.6mm plate. tiged it up. took me an hour to make. the holes in the paddle end are 16mm.

It works a treat in a full 50 liter mash. stirs it up really well. Better than the bit of dowl i used for ages that did nothing

cheers

new_paddle_end__Large_.JPG

old_and_new_paddle__Large_.JPG

oh yeah thats the stuff. off to the hardware store i think this weekend. Tony yours is sweet. got some dimentions?.

I think I need a better mash paddle to, I am using the dip tube from a keg :lol: .
I like Screwie's design in the first pic. How did you go about that one Screwtop?
Eric

not on me put perhaps tonight

cheers

I think I need a better mash paddle to, I am using the dip tube from a keg :lol: .
I like Screwie's design in the first pic. How did you go about that one Screwtop?
Eric

prolly just get a lump o wood, draw a template on it, jigsaw it out, smooth it off with sandpaper and drill the holes ?

find a catering supplies joint & you'll pick up a beech paddle dirt cheap. Take it home & drill a few big holes in it & you're avay for under $10

They are fantastic idea's, thanks fella's. New project to do now :D.

I smell a bulk buy boys :eek:
As I could use a new paddle too. There could be some money to be made here for some young enterprising brewer.

steve

I smell a bulk buy boys :eek:
As I could use a new paddle too. There could be some money to be made here for some young enterprising brewer.

steve
hmmmm interesting idea. I have all the gear to make both the wood and metal versions. I would just need to buy materials. maybe I should think about taking orders! I'll do a costing on the weekend and see if its worthwhile. Its probably not though.

Ross will have them on his site in 15 minuites and counting :p

Go to your nearest kitchen/catering supply place. I couldnt decide, I got a big metre long thick wooden paddle, and a nice staino job too:

paddles.jpg

Wooden one is a bit long, cost me all of $9.35 though, and it comes in a few different (shorter) lengths too.

The staino job I think was either $20 or $30, theres one slightly longer than it available too.

hmmmm interesting idea. I have all the gear to make both the wood and metal versions. I would just need to buy materials. maybe I should think about taking orders! I'll do a costing on the weekend and see if its worthwhile. Its probably not though.

I will take one of either. I am not fussy. I hate using those stupid white plastic spoons.

Steve

Latest posts

Back