New Paddle/spoon Needed - Suggestions?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go to your nearest kitchen/catering supply place. I couldnt decide, I got a big metre long thick wooden paddle, and a nice staino job too:

paddles.jpg

Wooden one is a bit long, cost me all of $9.35 though, and it comes in a few different (shorter) lengths too.

The staino job I think was either $20 or $30, theres one slightly longer than it available too.

sammus which shop did you purchase those from

I'll be there first thing tomorrow!

Got me a Borret-paddle. Loves it. :wub:

No dough on my balls. :D

Warren -

med_gallery_427_47_86588.jpg

Got me a Borret-paddle. Loves it.

No dough on my balls.

Warren -

I like that Wazza. Whats it made from? and I wonder what type of glue u would need to use to handle the hot, wet, sticky conditions. Hot wet and sticky :eek: excuse me for a second!

Steve

I thought Tasmanian oak was actually a eucalypt, anyone? I was looking for an american oak plank from a wine barrel to make a paddle out of, could anyone help?

Dan

find a catering supplies joint & you'll pick up a beech paddle dirt cheap. Take it home & drill a few big holes in it & you're avay for under $10

That what I did, forget how much it cost but was prety cheap, got out the holesaw and drilled a couple of 1/2 and 1 inch holes randomly.

Seems to work fine

cliffo

My homemade paddle looks a lot like the one Sammus has, only I drilled holes in it with a forstner bit. The holes probably don't serve much purpose, but they look important!

As for the designer label mash paddle Steve was right, buy a length of scrap from bunnings, scribe an angle for the shoulders and rip away with the saw. Drill holes in the paddle with a spade bit, sand and laquer with marine varnish. The Borat :D paddle is simply Tassie Oak dowell two sizes drilled and glued, dead easy to make took about 20 min. It's what I use, very little stiring required good for efficiency. One for show and one for go :lol:

what glue?

im sick opf holding the wooden spoon with the tips of my fingers!! :lol:

I found this for $7 this afternoon :)
100_2661.jpg

how do I spin tha pic? :(

araldite has arsnick in doesnt it?

I dont like the idea of glue in my mash.

maybe a small hole drilled into the dowl and some small SS screws?

ahhhhh im happy with mine.

cheers

ahhh.... what a timely thread!

My Coopers plastic stirring spoon come mash paddle snapped in half on my last brew-day. I was left with a half sized plastic spoon to stir the mash - 'twas a bit awkward! My spoon broke on my 14th AG batch - very similar to citymorgue2. I guess that means those plastic spoons are rated for 13 brews!

Some good suggestions in this thread... will have a look around for some alternatives to another plastic spoon.

cheers,

Andrei

araldite has arsnick in doesnt it?

I dont like the idea of glue in my mash.

maybe a small hole drilled into the dowl and some small SS screws?

ahhhhh im happy with mine.

cheers

No glue in mine either Tony. Stainless rules.

Use Weldbond for just about everything else around the place. --- Non-inflamable, non-toxic, flexible & weatherproof & is also highly water resistant & impervious to (amongst other things) oil, salt, moulds & fungi. Yes you're right! I'm looking at the instruction sheet. :D
Probably wouldn't use too far above boiling point but hey, this is for a mash paddle so no worries at all.

TP :beer:

I must admit that I've always been a little confused on the shape of the traditional mash paddle. I asked a few troops at a brew day recently what the reason was and no one seemed to know. But people seemed to really like the way that my one worked. It's just a $10 paint mixer from Bunnings - looks like a long potato masher. Instead of stirring, you just jiggle it up and down. Does a top job and very easy to use. Here she is...

The other advantage of this is that if you have an immersion chiller that has small gaps between the coils, what you can do is throw the paddle into the centre of the coil at the end of the boil and then throw the lid on with the handle protruding from the top. As the brew is chilling, you occassionally give the ''potato masher'' a jiggle up and down. This not only speeds up the chilling heaps but also does a reverse whirlpool. In other words, trub is pushed to the outside of the kettle which might be an advantage for some. I use an auto-syphon so it works for me as I syphon from the middle, gradually lowering the syphon until I see trub start to come through.

Anyway, I love me mash paddle!

Spot ya,
Pat

Back