New Nasa -- Yikes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

white.grant

tum te tum
Reaction score
Fun afternoon, I made the penetration and installed the tap for the new brewpot and thought I would test it on my new shiny NASA. I expected a bit of burn off on its first outing, but jebus, I thought I was going to die!.

Bloody paint on the burner ignited after ten minutes and the flames started moving towards the HP hose. Of course I was around the other side inspecting the kettle tap for leaks and didn't notice until my daughter walked home form school and said "Wow dad. should that be doing that?"

"Doing what?..... nooooooooo........"

Anyway, I got to the gas tap before anything exploded but now everything tastes like cheap scorched paint including the SchofferHoffer hefeweizen I've poured to calm my nerves.

I think I might disasemble the burner and strip the remaining paint off before I start it up again. Just to be on the safe side.

grant

i have used mine for 1 ag, and burnt it in previously. will i have to take it apart and clean it. it still works alright as far as i can tell. definatley dont need it up flat out, even when bringing it up to the boil.

lobo

..definatley dont need it up flat out, even when bringing it up to the boil.

Time to HTFU I think...a quick brewday's a good brewday :lol:

If you can see crud between the little slots and the housing that the centrepiece sits in, you're losing performance. After my first burn I pulled it apart and hit it with a wire brush to dislodge all the crud that had occurred. Have to do the same each time I have a boil over, keeps it in tip top condition. I love to see the brewstand glowing cherry red while ice forms on the base of the gas bottle at night.

Bloody paint on the burner ignited after ten minutes and the flames started moving towards the HP hose.

if you havn't got one fitted get on down to B.O.C and get a Flashback Arrestor.

Cheers
Yardy

I first fired mine up (against all good advice) in a roomy, yet enclosed, shed. I felt crook for about 4 hours....! The smell of that paint is enough to turn you green.

A couple of brews in, I decided to brush it all back with a small wire brush I had, so although it's more prone to rust, it will no longer throw fumes etc. I rarely burn at full throttle, maybe to bring the wort up to boil...but once it's going, I hardly need a flame to maintain a decent rolling boil.

if you havn't got one fitted get on down to B.O.C and get a Flashback Arrestor.

Cheers
Yardy

That's good practise, I've got them on my oxy set but have never thought about it for the BBQ cylinder.

And Cortez, you've changed you avatar, almost didn't recognise you :) .

Why the hell do they paint them with paint that's going to do that? Would it not make more sense to leave them bare or coat them in something that prevents rust, and can be close to flame? It's a thing that makes fire, fireproof materials would, I'd've thought, have been a principal design consideration.

Why the hell do they paint them with paint that's going to do that? Would it not make more sense to leave them bare or coat them in something that prevents rust, and can be close to flame? It's a thing that makes fire, fireproof materials would, I'd've thought, have been a principal design consideration.

Yep. that's kinda what I thought. Though NASA'a are pretty cheap so design considerations probably are no longer considered.

It looks good on the box or in the shop. I think that's the only design consideration. :(

While we're on design, why don't they drop the height of the burner a little in the frame? With my 90L pot on it, I get unburnt gas leaking up the sides of my kettle, requiring me to jack the kettle up an inch or so to get a proper burn.... PITA.

That's good practise, I've got them on my oxy set but have never thought about it for the BBQ cylinder.

yes, burning paint would be the least of the worries if the flame got back to the bottle.

Cheers
Yardy

While we're on design, why don't they drop the height of the burner a little in the frame? With my 90L pot on it, I get unburnt gas leaking up the sides of my kettle, requiring me to jack the kettle up an inch or so to get a proper burn.... PITA.

Hey Dave, its easy enough and not all that expensive to fabricate a frame out of Dexion. Sitting a 90 litre pot on the NASA stand would be a nail biting experience at the best times surely? :eek:

Mine gives me just the right amount of clearance to burn effectively and obviously can be adjusted too.

Warren -

DSC00573.jpg

My 80 l pot has done over 100 brews on the NASA stand and it hasnt fallen off yet, and despite the flakes after each session the steel doesnt seem to be much thinner.

My 80 l pot has done over 100 brews on the NASA stand and it hasnt fallen off yet, and despite the flakes after each session the steel doesnt seem to be much thinner.

Yeah understood. I was killing two birds with one stone. Dave had concerns regarding the distance of his burner to the pot by having the pot just sitting on the stand.

Sitting it on the angle iron stand affords you the freedom of altering the height relationship. I guess more stability is just an added bonus.

Warren -

I welded four lugs around the circumference of the stand to hold my 70 litre Robinox in place & plan to repaint the stand with stove paint (heatproof) to keep the rust at bay. Also use a copper tube extension on the gas line to extra safety. See the original NASA thread for piccies. 63 boils & still going strong.

TP :beer:

My 50L DAB keg sits on a 3 pieces of steel welded to the frame to support it as it doesnt sit properly otherwise. Using a keg for a kettle means there is a 10cm gap between the bottom of the kettle and the stand itself. Seems to do ok altho have been wondering whether i could speed up time to boil by raising the burner by a few cms.

Back