New Moo Brew Oak Aged Imperial Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
iv nevery had an imperial stout or oak aged beer but 25$ a stubbie seems extremly high
i'll pay a fair bit to get a beer to try the style and what not but i'd expect it to be 750ml in a nice possibly corked bottle
thats my 2cents

I also thought the oak flavour was very evident, though I still thought it was bloody fantastic, but keeping in mind we were trying fresh a beer that's intended to be aged, I think it will stand up several cuts above the rest.
thats why im still leaning towards buying one if i see it around. buy it, put it away and forget about it for another year. i dont doubt it will be fantastic then if it isnt already.
joe

OT, but mfdes, went and checked out willie simpsons 7 sheds brewery in railton today.

had a chat and a look around, had a small sample of the kentish ale and 2 meads. bought 6 bottles of beer and 1 of the mead and melomel (sp?)

will crack open a bottle of the beer tonight and give a proper review of it tomorrow.

Well I'm going to get a bottle or two, two if I can get the other half to approve the expenditure :D

Emailed the head brewer (Owen) as I had spoken to him before (when I thought one day why not just email the brewery and ask the ingredients for their pale ale which is another story...now to replicate that with the list he sent me) and he gave me the details how to get it.

They can package and post up to a three pack to Sydney for $15.
But you need to be quick if you do want it as obviously there is not many.

I have enjoyed their other beers so why not I say.

This beer will be on tap at the Wheaty from 2 pm tomorrow afternoon :icon_drunk:

Will be popping in on the way home from work for a quick butcher of Imp Stout.

C&B
TDA

EDIT: maybe not the oaked version.

Umm this doesn't make sense.

SO if you use sugar from another source like sugar cane, the beer doesn't contain cane sugar, only alcohol from when it did, so that is OK.

If you add cloves or bananas to beer and the finished product only has the flavour from these additives and not the actual fruit then that is OK as well?

Granted there wasn't SS in 1516, but the beer doesn't have its flavour modified from SS or steel tanks and the oak that they used back in the day was internally coated so that it sealed better and DIDN'T pick oak flavour and was alot more hygenic.

The beer will contain tannins from oak and other flavour compounds (so it does contain oak) this can be easily proven.

In my opinion if you use anything other malt, hops, water and yeast to modify the flavour than you can't quote the 1516 rule and use it in your marketing.

This doesn't follow at all.
The beer contains no oak in the ingredients, whereas your examples outlined above do contain additional ingredients. If you add the ingredient to the beer, then it doesn't match the law, otherwise you can say it does.
Otherwise, following that logic, you couldn't store the beer in anything that wasn't made of malt, hops water or yeast as these could still have the potential to affect the flavour, intentionally or otherwise, regardless of the quality of sealant.

ok I'll wiegh in on this.

Bavarian/German Purity law (Reinheitsgebot) - In the original text, the only ingredients that could be used in the production of beer were water, barley, and hops. yeast isnt mentioned in the law because in the 1500s they didnt know about microorganisms etc so it wasnt included as an ingredient.

now clearly a woodern cask isnt an ingredient in producing beer. yes it can be used to condition or hold beer but not in the production (unless I suppose you threw oak chips into the fermentor - but lets not muddy the water).

IMO so long as theres only water, barley, and hops in the beer, it complies with the orginal law. and as said its for marketing purposes only as all beer has yeast.

i'd be more concerned about the reinheitsgebot being broken through roast barley - actually i would be concerned if they were just making it with black malt and NO roast barley...

but then the reinheitsgebot is a load of old bollocks anyway

back on topic, i have ordered 2 stubbies of the oak aged beer. was told monday that there is under 100stubbies left. not bad. i have number 509 and 511, with the option of buying the same numbers next year if i want to. why not i say! i buy a box of coopers vintage every year its out.

Lobo

wow, i wasnt expecting it to sell that fast at all!

in the mercury today it says they have sold out :(
didnt have a chance to head over and pick one (or two) up. oh well, i'll have to drown my sorrows in my own beer.
joe

bad luck joe, i was undecided for a while, but i had tasted it when i was there and really enjoyed it, and i thought 'you only live once'. 2 stubbies for the price of a carton of good beer, but i intend to keep one each year and drink the other one after it has aged a little. looking forward to being off call next week so i can finally head to the wheatsheaf hotel for some of their regular stout.

Lobo

bad luck joe, i was undecided for a while, but i had tasted it when i was there and really enjoyed it, and i thought 'you only live once'. 2 stubbies for the price of a carton of good beer, but i intend to keep one each year and drink the other one after it has aged a little. looking forward to being off call next week so i can finally head to the wheatsheaf hotel for some of their regular stout.

Lobo

Same idea I had, when I talked to them and placed my order (a few days after they announced it) they mentioned they only had a about a third left.
They make some damn fine beer's, but I try to test as many as I can, and I also collect the labels so double the pleasure! :)

Latest posts

Back