New Moo Brew Oak Aged Imperial Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfdes

Reaction score
To all fellow brewers who came to the HOPs meet in Hobart last year and Owen Johnstone brought a keg of his wood aged stout experiment: It's been released commercially.

http://www.news.com.au/mercury/story/0,228...76-3462,00.html

It seems steep at $25 a stubby but what a beer! It was absolutely awesome.
BTW I have no affiliation whatsoever with Moo Brew or Owen, I just think he brews a killer product.

MFS.

Apparently it will soon be on tap (CO2 and hand-pump) at your nearest Wheatsheaf Hotel!

Lucky for some... the only branch is in Adelaide! :)

Woah! Like the sound of that! $25 for a stubbie is steep, sure, but it still wouldn't be the most i've paid for a beer, and you don't get many (if any?) commercial oak-aged imperial stouts in this country!

Apparently it will soon be on tap (CO2 and hand-pump) at your nearest Wheatsheaf Hotel!

Lucky for some... the only branch is in Adelaide! :)

Hi Adam,

Not the same product. Moo Brew are ALSO releasing a stout which will become part of their normal range.

MFS.

was lucky enough to taste this at their cellar door a couple of weeks ago. 7.95% i think, but dont quote me. i would buy a couple if i could get my hands on them. anyone know how to? they were amazing. i bet their stout is brilliant too. i cant recommend their beers enough, the only thing i thought was their wheat beer was fantastic on tap, but lacked in the bottle, too cloying IMO. but still a nice beer.

Lobo

I seem to remember, the keg he brought over was over 7%, but I can't recall the exact percentage, and who knows whether this is the exact same formulation as his previous experiment.

M

Edit: I think actually he brought bottles not a keg...

I had their regular Imperial Stout on Sunday at Beer SpecTAPular and it was awesome! Probably my favourite beer there.
$25 for a 330ml bottle is pretty pricey but I would buy a couple anyway.
Does anyone know what the story with the aging is? Actual barrels? Oak chips?

For the record the one I tried was 7.9%.

thanks for the heads up mfdes. i wonder how the beer has changed since that first tasting? from memory, and it was a while ago, the wood was a bit strong and overpowered what was a fantastic beer on its own.
the new seasonal stout is interesting as well. will have to go past the new sydney again :( and see if its on tap.
joe

I had their regular Imperial Stout on Sunday at Beer SpecTAPular and it was awesome! Probably my favourite beer there.
$25 for a 330ml bottle is pretty pricey but I would buy a couple anyway.
Does anyone know what the story with the aging is? Actual barrels? Oak chips?

For the record the one I tried was 7.9%.

I had it there too, and well... for mine, less than awesome.

Don't get me wrong, it was really good beer, but I've had imperial stouts from Red Hill, Red Duck and Three Ravens and they were all better, and not quite $25 per stubbie. I'd pay that much for the Three Ravens which was truly amazing... but I wouldn't have to.

Moo Brew make bloody good beer, but they know how to charge for it. Mind you - no one else has done one in oak that I know of, so maybe its worth it after all??

TB

wow... $25 a stubby...

makes the $20 entry to hopsters worthwhile :p

ftr its a damn good beer. when owen bought it to hopsters, i also thought that the oak was a little too strong, and really dried the beer out, but still farking awesome.

prefer the regular stout though personally.

good luck to them trying to shift it at that price though. i'll stick to the apa fresh off the tap. id go as far as to say its my favourite aussie beer. even in stubbies its still wonderful, but fresh is something else.

oh, and mfdes, it was bottled. i remember it being in unlabled bottles, and they were having a hard time pouring enough glasses due to the huge dollop's of icecream on top :p someone stole my free glass that night as well :(

if it was a 13% HUGE imperial i MIght pay that much but 7.9? come on. just go to IBS and order some Great DIvide Yeti for a proper one at a cheaper price. actually speaking of yeti, ive had the oaked version of that stuff and it was not subtle... im not necessarily a huge fan of oak for oak's sake

red hill wasn't bad! but what i really want is wignpen to bottle theirs.

Why equate price to alcohol content?

In my opinion many highly alcoholic beers are not worth a spit, and often I'd pay far more for a standard strength one I really like. Alcohol content and quality are not synonyms.

As to whether the Moo Brew stout is aged in oak chips or barrels, Owen said, Moorilla being a winery, that he'd convinced management to let him have a barrel to mature some of this stout in, so it is barrel aged.

I also thought the oak flavour was very evident, though I still thought it was bloody fantastic, but keeping in mind we were trying fresh a beer that's intended to be aged, I think it will stand up several cuts above the rest.

The question remains... will it sell at that price? They only made 600-odd stubbies, so it's not hard.

MFS.

All I can say is that I hope the Moo Brew turns out great - I have 50L of imperial stout just finishing off primary at the moment and 38L of it is headed for my oak barrel.

So given a chance to buy some of the Moo Brew - even at $25 :rolleyes: I'll probably buy it, just so I can get a feel for an oak aged RIP.

50L of the stuff, sheesh...... please let it be good, please let it be good, please let it be good

if it was a 13% HUGE imperial i MIght pay that much but 7.9? come on. just go to IBS and order some Great DIvide Yeti for a proper one at a cheaper price. actually speaking of yeti, ive had the oaked version of that stuff and it was not subtle... im not necessarily a huge fan of oak for oak's sake
An expat sandgroper living in the US brought a few bottles of the OA Yeti over for us to try last christmas, I really enjoyed the background of vanilla to go with the rest of the flavours.

Looking on the moo brew web site I read the following and wondered how does oak use fit in with this statement?

Moo Brew is brewed according to the Bavarian Purity Law of 1516, which proclaimed that beer must contain only the essential ingredients: malt, hops, yeast and water

Looking on the moo brew web site I read the following and wondered how does oak use fit in with this statement?

Moo Brew is brewed according to the Bavarian Purity Law of 1516, which proclaimed that beer must contain only the essential ingredients: malt, hops, yeast and water

No probs... the beer doesn't contain oak, it has just picked up flavour from being in oak.

...No stainless CCV's in 1516 ;)

Umm this doesn't make sense.

SO if you use sugar from another source like sugar cane, the beer doesn't contain cane sugar, only alcohol from when it did, so that is OK.

If you add cloves or bananas to beer and the finished product only has the flavour from these additives and not the actual fruit then that is OK as well?

Granted there wasn't SS in 1516, but the beer doesn't have its flavour modified from SS or steel tanks and the oak that they used back in the day was internally coated so that it sealed better and DIDN'T pick oak flavour and was alot more hygenic.

The beer will contain tannins from oak and other flavour compounds (so it does contain oak) this can be easily proven.

In my opinion if you use anything other malt, hops, water and yeast to modify the flavour than you can't quote the 1516 rule and use it in your marketing.

If you're looking for a barney give their marketing dept. a call.

See if they give a toss.

tdh

Back