moo brew 2013 cask aged

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartf

Reaction score
Sitting in Mr Paul's in Mornington drinking a few glasses of moo brew stout cask aged from 2013 and have to admit to a deep love for this beer. Rich, oak, chocolate and hints of coffee. Been wanting to make a stout with oak for a while does anyone have any idea how they make this beer. I admit I'm in love!

Hmm, was hoping for some more specific assistance with ingredients than that mate, or is it a Tassie secret?

Have a look around for tried and tested stout recipes and oaking/barreling practices.

AHBs Four pillars of Stout recipe coupled with a few weeks on medium toast oak chips should get you a fine beer, so long as your basic practices are solid.

Moo brew stouts that I've tried have been excellent.
Make big stout, add wood, age.
Pale, roast, oak, yum.

Yeah was naive enough a few months ago to think maybe I had hit on using oak as a novel idea in stout only to do a quick search to find its as common as muck. Thinking soaking oak chips in a navy rum then adding to a rich chocolate stout should get me pretty close. Not sure i can manage to age it for 6 years like tonight's sample though

Toast the oak first, then soak. Or look at tony's oaked no chill cube method.
Or get a barrel.

Age for 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, 2 years.
Sample throughout.

For small batches the oak dominos or staves are perhaps a better option than chips as there's less end grain so less tannin extraction. Not had a huge amount of personal experience making beer with either, just tasted a fair number of other people's efforts using oak products.

After 3 pints of the stuff I decided to email the brewery and ask if they could give me any advice on grains etc to try out. I'm thinking an imperial stout as a base then rack onto the oak staves, possibly some toasted coconut, in a secondary for aging for a few months?

More than a few years back I asked for their pale Ale recipe and got it (minus proportions), they were quite happy to help out, hopefully they still are.

Well no response from moo brew yet so I've started working on a recipe anyway.
4.2kg Golden promise
0.3 brown malt
0.3 crystal 70
0.8 chocolate
Thinking of adding some brown sugar to bump up the abv and add a different flavour. Mashed reasonably high (67?) for body and mouth feel. Hops thinking ekg or northern brewer.
Oak staves toasted then soaked in some navy rum for a week then added to the cube and no chilled then aged for 2 months prior to fermentation as per Tony's recipe. Not sure how close it will be to the original but thinking this should make a decent rich chocolaty oaky stout. Any critique appreciated as its my first crack at a stout

I'd consider black and maybe roast barley as well.
Yeast?
If I remember, I'll try and find out some moo brew specific info for you.
PM me for a prompt next week if you hear nothing.

Yeah I was thinking black but was a bit concerned about bitterness. Yeast something English but hadn't started looking into that yet.

Have emailed Dave so I'll post up here if he's willing to part with any info.

Response from the brewer below. Great detail and very much appreciated by me, Stuart and many others I'm sure.
Show your appreciation by buying samples for testing and comparison

"We use predominately pale Malt with some brown and Chocolate also both Carfa 2&3
Mash profile is 65 degrees for an hour 73 degrees for 10mins 78 degrees and out.
Hops: Centennial for bittering and EKG aromatics 55BU's
Yeast US05

As far as the barrel ageing process we ferment in stainless finish final ferment in barrel and then throw it in the cool room and forget about it for 12 months. We have a blend of American and French oak."

Latest posts

Back