moo brew 2013 cask aged

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep many thanks to Dave at the brewery for sharing this info and manticle for his help contacting them. Ordered my grains and have my oak staves soaking in some rum (based on the chart yob posted above). Planning on brewing this sometime over Easter so ill post an update and possibly some pics if things are going well.
Cheers

Brewing this today so far so good.
4kg gladfields 2-row pale
3kg gladfields aurora
0.2kg each of Simpsons brown,chocolate, carafa 2 and carafa 3. Oak staves toasted at 220C for 1 hour then soaked in dark rum for 1 week. 60g cascade at 60 min 45g ekg at 15 min then no chilled into cube containing the oak staves. Fingers crossed it comes out as good as the mash smells now. Internet is down currently so no photos till T fix my phone line

Isn't aurora akin to aromatic?

Very powerful malt - I use around 100 - 150 with the same amount of biscuit and it's distinct, even in a stout.

With everything else going on it will possibly integrate and be marvellous.

I was originally planning to just use the pale but got sucked in by the description of aurora on the website, fruit cake etc, sounded like it could fit bit maybe could have gone for a smaller amount. Hops were a bit strong tasting the post boil sample but I'm thinking that will fade during the aging and fermentation so should be about right I hope. OG was right at 1.085 so didn't have the efficiency problems I thought I may have with a largish grain bill.

Time will tell. Hope it turns out well but nothing precludes you from having another go except storage space. Waiting 12 months is hard so having more than one to sample isn't a bad thing.

Yeah I have already planned to do this again with a few tweeks so hopefully both will be good or I'll be sitting on 120ish bottles of crap

Just to update on this, wort spent 3 months in the cube on the oak before fermenting at 18C. After a month in the bottle it's still a bit under carbed but taste is pretty damn close from what I can remember of the original. Good coffe and cocoa flavours with decent amount of oak. Batch 2 bottled last week so got plenty of stock to allow me to age it for a good long time.

Back