New Method For A.g Brewing - Tea Urn.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use an urn for BIAB - I get the mash temp up to about 67c then switch the power off. Mash for 45 mins with a quilt round it - stir half way and mash for another 45 mins. I generally lose about 3 degrees using this method. Then I sparge with 75c water. Luckily I have access to another urn to heat the sparge.

IMAG0102.jpg

Check out my ingenious skyhook system. Handy for giving the bag a good squeeze.

IMAG0110.jpg

Or make yourself one of these. SS won't burn - ever! :D

DSC03129.jpg
Hang on... This is your stainless steel bag? Have you done a post on this?
1. Pros & cons? (probably tiny tiny bit harder to clean).
2. Where do you get the stainless steel stuff, how much did it set you back, and how do you make it?

PLEASE DO :) U know I love your experiments

I have been thinking of this method too. I was going to use bulldog clips around the top of the urn to hold the bag in.

Anyhow, if I get around to it before you then I will post it, otherwise, lert us know how it goes.

Rendo

I'm tempted to possibly sacrifice a square of voile I found in a cupboard the other week and just do a mash with it clothespegged to the top of the urn and try a mashout by heating and stirring and see if it actually does melt the bag. Might be a time saver. The other plan is to try a stepped mash by progressive boiling liquor additions as I have a second urn now, starting thick and work up to full volume. Always something interesting going on with BIAB :)

Nice one, glad to see you got this going.

Hang on... This is your stainless steel bag? Have you done a post on this?

OMG (as the internet kids say) a brewer did something without making a thread on it first :lol:

matr, you should make a thread on it though. As you know from our few PM's, I for one have an interest in this project. So get the ball rolling will ya !

I have been thinking of this method too. I was going to use bulldog clips around the top of the urn to hold the bag in.

I do this. 4 Bulldog clips around the top to hold the bag. Just need to fold the inside uh "wire bits" down to allow the lid on when mashing.
Then when finished just tie the opposite ends together and lift, twist and squeeze :)

Although I am not exactly an expert in BIAB. I am currently having issues with stuck ferments at 1020 (using US05). Going to try Nottingham to see if it's my Digital Thermometer (too hot mash) or US05 being a bitch.

Although I am not exactly an expert in BIAB. I am currently having issues with stuck ferments at 1020 (using US05). Going to try Nottingham to see if it's my Digital Thermometer (too hot mash) or US05 being a bitch.

Why not compare the thermometer to antother thermometer at mashing temps. i'm sure your local homebrew shop would be happy to help you out by letting you compare it to a thermometer of theirs if you dont have access to one otherwise.

Experimenting with yeasts is always a good thing to do, but using a different yeast to check if your thermometer is out isnt a very accurate experiment.

I have been thinking of doing a similar thing but keeping the voile and using a large strainer basket to allow for easy lifting. These things are the innards of large water line strainers available up to about 4-500mm diam. you could fit handle, lift into another vessel, sparge, part lift and squeeze with a home made flat paddle from above, plus easy to clean.

Why not compare the thermometer to antother thermometer at mashing temps. i'm sure your local homebrew shop would be happy to help you out by letting you compare it to a thermometer of theirs if you dont have access to one otherwise.

Experimenting with yeasts is always a good thing to do, but using a different yeast to check if your thermometer is out isnt a very accurate experiment.

Yeah I know but going to my lhbs requires jumping on a plane for 3 hours, driving for 2 days, or ordering online and waiting 2-3 weeks for "overnight" mail. Sometimes I think that the mail comes by camels :D
The distance also means that the better yeasts don't survive the trip so it dried only.

The beers don't turn out bad, just a little sweet but I no (slow)-chill so the aroma hops tend to give a little more bitterness than they should and it generally balances out.

Yeah I know but going to my lhbs requires jumping on a plane for 3 hours, driving for 2 days, or ordering online and waiting 2-3 weeks for "overnight" mail. Sometimes I think that the mail comes by camels :D
The distance also means that the better yeasts don't survive the trip so it dried only.

The beers don't turn out bad, just a little sweet but I no (slow)-chill so the aroma hops tend to give a little more bitterness than they should and it generally balances out.

thats fair enough.

Have you tried building up a starter with the us05? that should end up with enough yeast to attenuate properly. S04 may suffer similarly if its being handled harshly in the mail or wherever.

DSC03129.jpg

Bump for matr. I am very interested in learning more about this. I realise it wouldn't be overly cheap to go out and by the fine mesh stainless but I am interested. Please go on. :)

Have you tried building up a starter with the us05? that should end up with enough yeast to attenuate properly. S04 may suffer similarly if its being handled harshly in the mail or wherever.

Nope but that's the next step. :)

Room and time is limited at the moment due to a bigger garage brewshed in construction but the new year should see some fine tuning :icon_cheers:

Back