New Member from Buderim

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hazoluke

Reaction score
Hello Everyone

Just want to introduce myself and say Im super keen to improve my brewing knowledge.

I Started on kits n kilos moved onto extract, been doing extract for about 4 months and have been very excited by the results that I have attained and I am really keen to get involved with BIAB.

Any advice on equipment would be much appreciated. At the moment I am saving to get myself a 70lt kettle with a ball valve tap with a Bag from craftbrewers to hold the grain and a 3 ringed gas burner with bottle.

I am going to no chill my wort in an appropriate container then add to fermenter when temp is correct.

So if my above rational is wrong please give me the heads up, however, regarding the method...

My plan is to strike water to 69 deg

add grain bill, cover with sleeping bag to maintain temp for approx 60mins

remove sleeping bag and bring to the boil

continue on with my hop additions

once boil is over, drop wort into cube

add to fermenter at correct temp add yeast and ferment as normal.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions or advice.

Luke

Welcome hazoluke, It seems as though you have a grasp of the basic procedure, make sure you remove the grain before you boil it though.

I do biab in a 40 litre Crown urn and I usually get enough for a 23L brew at the end, so with a 70 litre pot you'd probably be able to do double batches.
Ross and co at Craftbrewer are great and will be more than happy to help empty your wallet get you going.

There seems to quite a few brewers from the Sunshine Coast on here and there's plenty of room for more.

Cheers. :icon_cheers:

Welcome to the site. No turning back once you go to AG. Enjoy the Journey. Ross is a good operator and will steer you in the right direction.

Enjoy.
Martin

Thanks for the advice guys.

I am super excited to get involved in this next step.

Cheers

HBHB said:
Welcome to the site. No turning back once you go to AG. Enjoy the Journey. Ross is a good operator and will steer you in the right direction.

Enjoy.
Martin
That Martin guy is very helpful as well....Martin. :lol:

There will be a few blokes going to the Sunshine Coast brewery on the 22nd march for a bit of a meetup and a chinwag, maybe even a few beers.unsure if I'll be going at this stage, but if you're looking to meet some other brewers and get a few tips, that would be a good place to start!

Gday Dan Dan,

Yeah I knew this was happening, at the moment Im working on the 22nd. However, Im trying to get out of it. Should be a good day.

Cheers for the heads up.

Also, on the 16th Hayden from Brewbake is doing another grain bulk buy. If you're ready to start BIAB by then, he will be able to sort out all your grains and hops for you at a decent price.

I'm skint ATM as I always am after spending lots of dollars on bling or hardware rather than 'down the throat' :lol: :lol:

Won't be there on Sunday 22nd (Tomorrow) but any brewer is always welcome at Sharkbait Manor for a beer or two if you feel the need or whatever, whatever?

Yeah I have been buying my hops from him for my extracts, super cheap and best prices that I have found and he is a awesome guy.

Is it this month??

Thanks mate

Hey Luke,
Welcome aboard!
If you shoot Hayden an email, he will put you on his mailing list - so you know what happens at da pinapplz....

This was already posted on another thread so I don't think he will mind it reposted here [email protected]

OB out.....

Hey Oakburner you wouldn't be a cooper would you?

Hi Luke, I BIAB in a 40L urn and currently have a connection with the Sunshine Coast (apart for my enduring affection for Pete) :p and that's my circle of Voile that I bought from Spotlight at Kawana.
Bags are fine, but a $15 circle of Swiss Voile, hemmed, is far easier to empty and clean and has no seams. I throttle mine with a hangman's noose and hoist with a block and tackle.
Emptying and cleaning consists of taking it into the garden, grab an edge, lift then flap/shake then into a bucket of napisan.

Despite current electricity charges, electric is still way cheaper than gas bottles, something to bear in mind as you are obviously planning to make quantities. I worked it out that over a two year period, the savings in my case would pay for an extra urn.

Happy BIABing :super:

oakburner said:
Hey Luke,
Welcome aboard!
If you shoot Hayden an email, he will put you on his mailing list - so you know what happens at da pinapplz....

This was already posted on another thread so I don't think he will mind it reposted here [email protected]

OB out.....
Sometimes these things are best kept to PM's, not everybody is as happy as we are with this set up. ;)

Latest posts

Back