New member from Adelaide, complete novice!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nizmoose

Reaction score
Hi guys just thought I'd post a topic here to say hi, I've wanted to get into homebrewing for quite some time now and I finally did my first batch which has now been bottled and I have around two more weeks till I can finally see what its like! Im 21 and studying at Uni and Im keen to learn as much as possible! My mates dad sort of got me to try my frist batch after I asked him what beer I was drinking when he gave me one, turned out to be his homebrew and I was blown away! less than 3 dollars for a nice tasting 6 pack, count me in.

Ha, the lure of cheap quality beer gets another soul, welcome mate, most of us find that the beer is cheap but the equipment can be killer.

Enjoy the ride ;)

haha! I certainly have no idea what I'm in for haha, at least as long as I keep using the kit it'll stay cheap though right? On the topic of equipment and anything beyond a kit can anyone show me to a page or site that really goes through the different types of homebrews (as in methods) and the procedure taken, If I'm honest I have no idea what most people are talking about terminology wise when I read a topic on anything but kit stuff, hops this, wort that, 60/45/48499383535/35353/5 etc etc lol, I'm sort of learning by reading and listening and guessing but is there anywhere that will really nut it out for me?

Read that how to Brew book by John Palmer. I just read it and helped me out with a lot of understanding of terminology and adding stuff.

Hi Nizmoose

Yes its fun. I have recently started to get everything altogether again to start brewing- did lots of kits for many years but fell out of it about 8 years ago. My basic understanding has been blow apart in a good way by this forum, and the the plans i have are a little daunting....

Heaps of good home-brew shops in Adelaide so stop by and have a chat with anyone of them- always handy to give you a start, as well as providing ideas and ingredients to start to make kits better- which is my basic level.

Another book which helps with terminology is Laurie Strachan complete home brew guide. Helped me get an idea of what the go is, and potentially how to do it!

Bizenya said:
Hi Nizmoose

Yes its fun. I have recently started to get everything altogether again to start brewing- did lots of kits for many years but fell out of it about 8 years ago. My basic understanding has been blow apart in a good way by this forum, and the the plans i have are a little daunting....

Heaps of good home-brew shops in Adelaide so stop by and have a chat with anyone of them- always handy to give you a start, as well as providing ideas and ingredients to start to make kits better- which is my basic level.

Another book which helps with terminology is Laurie Strachan complete home brew guide. Helped me get an idea of what the go is, and potentially how to do it!
Thanks so much for this I'll definitely give this book a read! Although I've only just done my first kit batch I feel like I know what I'm doing and the biggest reason is because Im very anal about everything and stress about getting things right too much lol, I have a few friends who have done a few batches and they don't seem to fussed about sanitisation and things like that enough so naturally after a few more kit brews I think I'm going to want to get a bit creative, It's just very confusing for me at the moment though haha so thanks for the advice and the book suggestion!

Yup

Don't worry Im a fish totally out of water too- I can do a nice kit with a few additions, which used to come out awesome, but its the tip of the ice-berg i think. Have a good read through this site and see the procedures people do- very very cool stuff!

Starting of home brewing begins a long slippery slope towards total grain, which to be honest I'm quite excited about (in due time mind you)

Nizmoose said:
haha! I certainly have no idea what I'm in for haha, at least as long as I keep using the kit it'll stay cheap though right?
Yep, if you're happy with kit beers, and it sounds like you are, then stick to that for as long as you like! Many homebrewers do, changing perhaps only the yeast, and fermenting with temperature control, both of which are really cheap and easy ways to improve your beer.

Thanks for the advice guys :) after spending lots of time on car forums (I'm a turbo man btw :p) its nice to be on a forum where people are so helpful and friendly and willing to share their ideas!

Nizmoose said:
haha! I certainly have no idea what I'm in for haha, at least as long as I keep using the kit it'll stay cheap though right? On the topic of equipment and anything beyond a kit can anyone show me to a page or site that really goes through the different types of homebrews (as in methods) and the procedure taken, If I'm honest I have no idea what most people are talking about terminology wise when I read a topic on anything but kit stuff, hops this, wort that, 60/45/48499383535/35353/5 etc etc lol, I'm sort of learning by reading and listening and guessing but is there anywhere that will really nut it out for me?
Nizmoose,

Last edited:
wally said:
Nizmoose,

This link should help you out with terminology/acronyms etc.

If you're interested in local brew days, comps etc. feel free to PM me.

Wally

Thanks wally. Was trying to decipher a few of those acronyms myself. :lol:

Ha, It all seems like an inexpensive hobby when you get your first kit from BigW or YLHBS, then you need another one, then you need a bigger fermentor, then you need to start using specialty malts/grains/yeasts.
After a short time the K&K is no longer a challenge, so you go get yourself a vessel/urn and a voile bag.
Meanwhile you buy a second fridge to be able to temperature regulate your fermentation. Just when you start to think "Hey! this setup is going nicely" you read multiple 3v herms threads that have you salivating :icon_drool2: ........... Anyway, How to brew by John Palmer is a definite must for any budding brewer. I initially got an older version pdf of the web and got the newer version shipped from amazon.
If you're anywere near Kilburn, Beerbelly Brewing just off prospect road usually have copies in stock.

John Palmer helps but some will argue with some of his points.
Read, then read.
Drink. Brew K+K.
Read, drink, rinse repeat.

Go the esky + bucket lauter high gravity boil and marvel at the taste of AG brews.
Then you are fucked,

Hey guys cheers for the replies nice to see some more here! I've since done two brews and I'm getting happy with how it's been, both were just k and k and I've read every Page of palmer's book :p my next brew will be pale tin and malt extract with hops and specialty grain then my next one planned is an amber ale which is 'all extract' just coopers amber lme ldme hops and crystal malt :) people do try to convince me that this isn't a cheap hobby but my other hobby is Japanese turbo imports so this is pocket money compared :p

Latest posts

Back