New Mash Tun

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KHB

All Grain All The Time
Reaction score
Today i used my new 55litre willow esky with a copper manifold. I used to get 80% eff with my old one and today got 91% eff!!! Couldnt believe it, had to add some water pre boil to adjust. Just wanted to share it.

Cheers

Good work mate! 91% :eek:

Well show us some pics!

I did my first 3V AG today in my new 100L MT with copper manifold and hit 78% and I WAS happy with that! ;)

:icon_cheers:

Good work mate! 91% :eek:

Well show us some pics!

I did my first 3V AG today in my new 100L MT with copper manifold and hit 78% and I WAS happy with that! ;)

:icon_cheers:

Might put some picks up when its all back together

Awesome work Scotsman and Cocko, great results with your New Eskys... :beerbang:

:icon_offtopic: I received my HP Regulator today(thanks again cocko), and have been having a little play, f--- it goes so much better than the old LP Reg, wrapped and taped some Camping Mat around my thinner walled 80ltr SS Pot this arvo and plumbed up yesterday, it actually drained all liquid bar 1ltr so pretty happy with that....

Just going to do a test run tonight with a double batch worth of liquid in it to see what the boil-off is..

Anyhow, sorry for going off topic, but good work again, and yes, I want pictures.....

:icon_chickcheers: CB

OK as promised here are some pics

1st up is the 40lt HLT

med_gallery_4661_191_806748.jpg

Next the mash tun

med_gallery_4661_191_392441.jpg

med_gallery_4661_191_445629.jpg

Then the kettle

med_gallery_4661_191_316348.jpg

med_gallery_4661_191_545872.jpg

Cheers
Scotsman

Whats the go with this setup??? never seen one like that before..

Whats the go with this setup??? never seen one like that before..

If your talking about the dish its where my wort returns into the mash tun to avoid spalshing. Beerbelly makes them, the long probe sticking out lower it the thermowell for the digital gauge

Looking good!

Nice work on the setup Scotsman, should get some great beer from that setup.

Crundle

Well after my Rubbermaid MT threw the towel in I went Stainless not as pretty but a bit more robust. It is a 50L modified keg, not quite finished as I am waiting on fittings from the big Island but have been doing some running in with just plain water to get some temperature settings. I have had to ramp my Tempmate up 5C as it was lagging behind true temp as showing on the gauges which are fairly well spot on.

View attachment 28456 View attachment 28457

Well after my Rubbermaid MT threw the towel in I went Stainless not as pretty but a bit more robust. It is a 50L modified keg, not quite finished as I am waiting on fittings from the big Island but have been doing some running in with just plain water to get some temperature settings. I have had to ramp my Tempmate up 5C as it was lagging behind true temp as showing on the gauges which are fairly well spot on.

View attachment 28456 View attachment 28457

That's a great set up beernut, really looking forward to to seeing it in action, truely in mash day envy, I'm still stacked up on bricks and other inflammable media....Once these shutdowns are over with i'm into it with fire sticks to build a brew stand. Just finished calibrating my new brainchild fermenter controler tonight ready for this weekend entry to the ANAWBS mash paddle entry.

Smashin :rolleyes:

G'day Smashin

Yeah changing over from a stuffed plastic MT was a PITA as it has been seriously interfering with the brew schedule.
The S/S mash tun worked out well and as you can see I utilized the lid off the Rubbermaid which fitted perfect. Insulation is holding the temps down to a 4C drop over one hour with the ambient at 12C. I can get by with this in the short term by adjusting with hot water but this won't be a problem once the HERMS unit is installed, up and running. So much to do, so little time, but an interesting project.
Glad to see Tassie getting some representation in the ANAWBS mash paddle and hope you go well.

Cheers mate :beer:

Back