New Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UsernameTaken

Reaction score
So I am nervously about to keg my first batch and am wondering how thoroughly I need to clean my brand new kegs?

Or is just sanatising enough?

Thanks,
UNT

I use a splash of boiling water and swill it all over. Repeat a couple of times.

Have you had a good look at all the keg parts yet? You might as well do that before you keg if you haven't already. Just unscrew with spanner and look at the dip tubes etc. You'll be wanting to clean/rinse those next time between brews ideally (though I think some people don't).

5L of very hot water and 30g(?) Of sodium perc, leave for an hour and flip upside down. After a few more hours run it out through your tap or Pluto etc.

If you want to be real pedantic you can strip and soak posts. Lube orings while apart

As with SS brew buckets you might want to passivate the internal surface first by pouring in some strong Starsan solution, shake well to coat the surfaces and leave overnight.

The passivation comes from exposure to air (oxygen?)
the starsan (acid) just cleans the surface so the air can get to it.

I usually pull the keg apart and lube all the rubber bits after a sodium perc wash (speaking of which, i had better get onto the one i just bought.....)

Passivation is due to preferential dissolution of iron from the surface, leaving an increased local concentration of nickel and chromium oxides (plus molybdenum oxide if it's 316)

The starsan contains phosphoric acid which will dissolve the iron. Many other acids work, including citric. The industrial strength version is a mix of nitric and hydrofluoric acids.

As I have 3 identical cornelius kegs will it be necessary to track the components of each when I take them apart for cleaning or should they all interchange and play nicely?

Thanks,
UNT

I used new kegs and didnt clean them at all before use. Intended to. Forgot.
Beer was fine. Not recommending it, but based on my experience I wouldnt be going to too much trouble.
These were the Italian made AEB's.

UsernameTaken said:
As I have 3 identical cornelius kegs will it be necessary to track the components of each when I take them apart for cleaning or should they all interchange and play nicely?

Thanks,
UNT

Should be all compatible but it depends on the state of the kegs how nice they fit back together. If you have dings in lids etc it is safest to keep them together.

You need clean kegs before you can have sanitary kegs.

Cleaning with hot water and a very small amount of dish washing liquid will help remove oils, then a hot perc soak, rinse and starsan and you're good to go. As others have mentioned, give the seals a lube each time you break apart to clean.

Is it over kill? Maybe. But it's for my precious beer. My Precious...

And finally, I am kegging next Monday and then heading overseas for 3 weeks next Wednesday.

Bad timing I know!

But would you suggest waiting until I get back to carbonate or just leaving it at 10PSI or so to slowly carbonate while I am away?

Thanks,
UNT

UsernameTaken said:
And finally, I am kegging next Monday and then heading overseas for 3 weeks next Wednesday.

Bad timing I know!

But would you suggest waiting until I get back to carbonate or just leaving it at 10PSI or so to slowly carbonate while I am away?
10's pretty low depending on style and temp but ultimately - yes, I would set it and forget it...

The force carbonation thing works a charm for a quick carb but if you're running around getting shit ready to go away every chance you could forget to drop it, you'll have a mighty fizzy brew when you get back :p

What serving pressure would you suggest for a pale ale and an IPA?

Thanks,
UNT

I carbonate and serve all of my beers at 14 psi. And most of my beers are pale ales or IPAs.

Brewersfriend says between 9 and 14 psi for 'american ales' if your temp is 4 degrees. I guess I'm towards the upper end of that (assuming my regulator dial is accurate).

Have a look at http://www.brewersfriend.com/keg-carbonation-calculator/

As above up to 14 is fine for a pretty well carbed IPA, at 4C, that ought to give you about 2.6 vols.

Personally my setup aims for about carb of 13 PSI at 2.5C for about the same carb level.

Serving pressure is much the same, about 12 for me. Your serving pressure will depend on your system such as length of line. Check out this calc for a good guide
http://www.mikesoltys.com/2012/09/17/determining-proper-hose-length-for-your-kegerator/

Back