new kegger question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben-burd

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I have just transferred a brew into my first keg and have a couple questions about carbornating.

Its a basic coopers cerveza with BE2 that was fermented at 18deg for 2 weeks then cold crashed for another week at 2deg and then transferred into the keg which is now back in the fridge set at 2 deg

I burped the keg and now have it set at 10psi. The keg only has to be ready for Xmas day so i am assuming i can leave it at 10 psi (is this correct serving pressure?) and it will sort itself out over the next 3 weeks before xmas day.

I like the keep it simple way of doing things so no need to risk over carb at higher pressure if there is no need to??

Am i on the right track?

Cheers
Ben

P.S. yes i know the cervez is boring but for serving to the rellies on xmas day & first keg run i can be excused ;)

10psi @2C will give you about 2.5 volumes of CO2, which is a normal level of carbonation for that type of beer. It will take about 1 week to fully carb, so you have plenty of time. So you are doing the right thing. You will beed to balance your line length such that the beer will pour well at 10psi. What is your beer dispensing set up?

thanks for the reply black n tan

I have a pluto gun connected to 1m of beerline

You will need longer beer line than that otherwise you just end up with froth in the glass. You need to have your system system which means you can serve your beer at the pressure you carbed it at, basically this means that the pressure at the pluto gun should be close to 0psi (don't worry the beer will still pour). To achieve this the length of beer line need to be long enough to have 10psi of resistance. Narrower line has more resistance than wider line, so you can use a shorter lengths. I would start with 3 metres of 5mm ID line and shorten from there until you find it is pouring the way you would like (ensure you wait at least one week to ensure your beer is fully carbed). You will probably need 2.4-2.7m of 5mm ID line to have the system balanced. You could use 4mm ID line and use a shorter length, but it is a bugger to get it on a barb fitting. Hope that helps.

Back