New Hop: Fortnight

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put this down on the weekend, will report back after tasting.

4kg 2 Row
.1 Acidulated
.3 Carapils
.3 Supernova

Fortnight hops,
10 at 45
10 at 15
10 at zero
70 Dry hop for four days
Nottingham Yeast

21 ltrs at 1.050

Drinking a freshly kegged American Amber that I brewed with Fortnight as a single hop. 100gm used late. Probably 30gm at 10, 30 gm at flame out and 40 gm after letting the wort cool for 20 minutes. Then another 15 minutes then cubed and 'pooled'.

Nice bitterness with the fairly high AA.

I would agree with the pineapple, marmalade and peach and maybe a little grapefruit.

I can also see the lime cordial description. Not particularly citrus but does taste like lime cordial.

Works well in an amber where you are not totally relying on the hops but might be lacking in other styles by itself.

Got to be based on citra and/or amarillo?

Put my fortnight brew down yesterday.

95% MO
3% acidulated
2% medium crystal

20g @ 5
50g @ 0 for 30min hopstand above 85 degrees
30g @ 75 degrees for 30min hopstand
50g dry hop at day 4 or 1.020
50g dry hop for 5 days at diacetyl rest temp

2 packs US-05

OG 1.050, hoping for FG 1.010 and 5.2%. IBU roughly 35-40.

So tasted this for the first time tonight, on the gas since Sunday night. All I can say is that the reviews on this thread are pretty spot on. Great aroma but not an overly flavourful hop. The initial sips are quite 'watery' and my beer is hopped to about 40 IBU, so has a dry finish. Not unpleasant by any means, but the flavour doesn't follow on from the sensational aroma.

I can see it fitting in perfectly with some summer smashers!!

BKBrews said:
So tasted this for the first time tonight, on the gas since Sunday night. All I can say is that the reviews on this thread are pretty spot on. Great aroma but not an overly flavourful hop. The initial sips are quite 'watery' and my beer is hopped to about 40 IBU, so has a dry finish. Not unpleasant by any means, but the flavour doesn't follow on from the sensational aroma.

I can see it fitting in perfectly with some summer smashers!!
Have to agree entirely with this. At least initially. Ive found my keg of fortnight pale ale hit its stride after 4 weeks in the keg. Initially the aroma was great, lots of pine and a lemon/lime aroma. It then settled into a more generic american hop aroma (grapefruit/ tropical/pine) and the flavour started to come through more. It definitely doesnt have a big punchy flavour but it does come through after a while.

Ballistic beer launched their brewery bar with a fortnight single-hop IPA that has a definite peach and marmalade nose, and the marmalade carries through into a sweet cordial-like flavour. Not sure of the malt bill but it's pale in colour - guessing BB Ale with a little wheat and caramunich to 6.1%.

Very pleasant drop, not dissimilar in character to Bentspoke's Sprocket IPA but certainly less pine and resin.

For sake of comparison I found Bentspoke's fortnight pale to be much more delicate and less enjoyable...

I used Fortnight in my last batch and it worked out well enough for flavour.

10g Fortnight first wort
60 min boil
50g Fortnight at flame out
Whirlpool and wait for temp to drop to 85C
100g Fortnight in cube

Left in cube for about 40 hours, then pitched a 3L US-05 starter

No dry hopping.

Next time around, I'd probably try skipping the 10g first wort addition and dry hop a little.

I don't think Fortnight is amazing/sensational, but it's not a bad blend. At the end of the day, I prefer to just use the individual hop varieties in whatever proportion and at whatever stage I choose. Fortnight may hold some attraction if the blend is sold much cheaper than the equivalent single hops.

I've tasted 2 beers that Steve from hoppy days made with this blend and they were both great. Kinda tasted like a blend of Simcoe Columbus and Mosaic. Also the BABBs pale ale comp was taken out by a fortnight pale last month

I did the following with Fortnight on the weekend:

Pacific Ale gain bill - 60:40 Ale:wheat

5g FWH
25g in the cube for an IBU of about 34

Which leaves me with 70g left for dry-hop.

I'm wondering if I should use some left over Nelson in the dry hop charge for a bit more flavour...

It didn't end up being as good as I expected.

All I can taste is pineapple. Tastes more like soda pop.
At 35 IBU bitterness was nice.
Would probably go better combined with other hops like cascade or Amarillo rather than single hop.

Just a follow up on my post from 10 days ago. In that time the maturation process has nudged the beer along and the hop flavour has integrated quite nicely. It's less edgy and less juicy and has a nice mellow character with good flavour. Nothing to write essays about, but not a below average result either. As you can see, I wasn't skimping with the hops - perhaps that's the trick.

Hmm - I'm thinking I might throw some Nelson in my dry-hop charge just to offset the pineapple/lime flavour of the fortnight.

I took a sample after 2 days of fermentation and whoah it is a strong flavour - almost sickly sweet. I'm sure this will dissipate somewhat as it ferments out.

Whoa, back up a second there.
You're unhappy Fortnight has provided too much hoppy aroma?? [emoji15]
On a serious note, let it finish fermenting and see what happens. It'll quite likely balance out a fair bit more (hopefully!).

technobabble66 said:
Whoa, back up a second there.
You're unhappy Fortnight has provided too much hoppy aroma?? [emoji15]
On a serious note, let it finish fermenting and see what happens. It'll quite likely balance out a fair bit more (hopefully!).
Seems strange doesn't it? But it's not the kind of flavour I was expecting. Having said that, I just took another sample and it has mellowed out somewhat. It's only at 1.030 right now so it's still got some fermenting to do.

What about dry hopped in a kettle sour? Maybe that hint of lime cordial might do well in something light and refreshing where you are not expecting a hop bomb?

Used it in a Furphy style beer for my non Hop Head friends with Ella. Brewed with Nott yeast at low temp so almost lagerish. Nice citrus/lime notes and not overpowering, be a great summer crushable beer[emoji106]
Not sure what other styles it would suit though, bit weak for the Pales I like to drink. Anyone tried to FWH or bitter with it yet?

I've only used it in a Dry Hop scenario (Simcoe being the hot side hops), and the Marmalade descriptor is spot on, in my case.
Really keen to see how it goes in a SMaSH or SMa5H (seeing as it's a blend of five hops) though.

Back