New Hop: Fortnight

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the description:
Fortnight opens with a big grapefruit punch, supplemented with subtle aromatics of pineapple, marmalade and peach. It delivers a classic American palate, finished with a soft and resinous pine backbone.
Fortnight is perfectly suited to the full plethora of pale ales and will serve you well in any brew that you require a quintessential American hop note.
14% alpha

Steve from Hoppy Days has ordered some as well - will try it for sure. I think there's a MO/Fortnight smash on the cards!

manticle said:
Who the **** is in charge of naming hops these days?
Why Fortnight?
Meddings said Bintani had arrived at the name Fortnight because it was a word that had initially confounded their friends at YCH Hops.
“It goes back to when the US gained its independence and the word ‘fortnight’ quickly dropped out of their vocabulary,” he said.
Despite vanishing in the US, Fortnight remains a common word in the Australian vernacular.
“It fits really well with what we’re trying to do with this hop. Australia has developed its own unique interpretation of American hops into beers that best suit our lifestyle and climate,” said Meddings.

Pretty long draw of a short bow.. but there ya go

The term "fortnight" is unknown to most Americans although, along with us and the Brits of course, some Canadians use the term. HPA should maybe have done some cultural research first.

mtb said:
Why Fortnight?
Meddings said Bintani had arrived at the name Fortnight because it was a word that had initially confounded their friends at YCH Hops.
“It goes back to when the US gained its independence and the word ‘fortnight’ quickly dropped out of their vocabulary,” he said.
Despite vanishing in the US, Fortnight remains a common word in the Australian vernacular.
“It fits really well with what we’re trying to do with this hop. Australia has developed its own unique interpretation of American hops into beers that best suit our lifestyle and climate,” said Meddings.
Might as well call it 'millimetre'

Drinking my Fortnight APA now. I'd liken it to a cheap lime cordial that mum added too much water to.. there's flavour, but not enough. Maybe in a more malt forward beer it'd serve as a complement to the malt, but it doesn't stand out on its own.

Fair point. It wouldn't help that I used Voyager pale malt, which I find to be very lacking in maltiness. In any case, I won't exactly be guzzling this beer due to its current awesomeness, so it'll get a chance to improve with age

Latest posts

Back