New Bunnings "fermenter" Style Containers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use these exclusively now. Getting ahold of them here has been a pain. Cannon Hill had them when I lived around the corner. But Booval don't, and the Nerang store don't. Ended up finding them at Browns Plains on the eye home from work one weekend.

Cheers

NickB said:
I use these exclusively now. Getting ahold of them here has been a pain. Cannon Hill had them when I lived around the corner. But Booval don't, and the Nerang store don't. Ended up finding them at Browns Plains on the eye home from work one weekend.

Cheers
We have a brand new Bunnings opening next to our work end of the month...I will keep an eye out!

BEC26 said:
Hey Bribie G

missed this post but am interested!

Managed to get one this weekend in port mac, and literally just now measured up the "new" ferment fridge - it will fit 2 drums side by side.

Will have to work out pickup/payment

Strange, cos I subbed to this thread and your post wasn't an email alert . . .

Pm me

Cheers
Sorry BEC completely missed your post, have PMd

phoneyhuh said:
OK I thought as much. Thanks for the replies anyway!

I'm sure there's got to be somewhere that sells strong, stackable square plastic drums with large screwtop lids, 40 or 50L capacity. I'm just yet to find them. :ph34r:
:icon_offtopic:
If you find any please let me know phoneyhuh.
Square is good if you're short on space like I am
I do have a couple of square DLM drums obtained from my LHBS yonks ago but they only hold just over half a sack. :(

Bunnings at Noosa have shit loads of them, I bought a couple more the other day. Like Nick they are my fermenter of choice now.

If I can make it to the swap, (that's if I'm out of this shut I'm working ATM), I'll be happy to bring some along to those who need them.

batz

These are not manufactured as fermenters. But being home brewers, whenever we go into Charlie Cheap or Reject Shop or BCF we are always on the lookout for anything that can be adapted to HB purposes. Bunnings has struck the gong here with an incredible product but at the end of the day we are rats in the walls, constantly looking looking looking.

Keep ratting guys :)

rats.jpg

Edit: for example, FFS what would be the odds of a 40 litre electric boiling device for tea and coffee at old ladies' Bingo mornings being the basis of an entire branch of modern home brewing?? :blink:

Is a standard supermarket roll of cling wrap wide enough to cover the opening in a single (albeit layered) pass? I've been meaning to get one of these for ages (lid for aerating/shaking the crap out of it or for storing wort or lagering, no lid for fermenting).

Clingwrap is even easier to use on these than a "Coopers" style fermenter which has a wider mouth.

RIS pitched.jpg

one layer is all that's required.

I knew you'd happily chime in, Bribie :) Sold! Hey have you tried leak testing these when sealed? I've never been able to shake my coopers style fermenter (due to the 13mm hole) and was never sure if they sealed 100% when being shaken vigorously or stored upside down etc.

With the O ring they seal very well, you shouldn't have any problems with vigorous shaking. What's the 13 mm hole? Tap hole is the same as most other containers such as jerries that take the same tap.

Bribie G said:
With the O ring they seal very well, you shouldn't have any problems with vigorous shaking. What's the 13 mm hole? Tap hole is the same as most other containers such as jerries that take the same tap.
The hole with the grommet in it to seal in airlocks. A mate set me up extract brewing when he retired from it himself, so I've actually never bought a fermenter and have only ever owned one with a hole in the lid.

They don't come with a hole, as they are not fermenters but you can drill one if you like, but if you are using clingwrap why would you need to?

What is this grommet you speak of ? :p

Bribie G said:
They don't come with a hole, as they are not fermenters but you can drill one if you like, but if you are using clingwrap why would you need to?

We have our wires crossed, mate. I meant that I've never had the chance to test a Coopers fermenter for water tightness due to the hole in the lid, hence my asking if these storage drums seal 100%. I will most certainly NOT be drilling a hole as the lack of a hole is 90% of the attraction - it allows it to serve so many additional purposes. Given that I use glad wrap when siphoning out the final beer (to prevent any airborne nasties getting in) (I only use the tap if I'm bottling [super rare]), this is a natural progression for me.

Bribie G said:
A grommet is very similar to a kitten collar... :huh:

iralosavic said:
We have our wires crossed, mate. I meant that I've never had the chance to test a Coopers fermenter for water tightness due to the hole in the lid, hence my asking if these storage drums seal 100%.
I've had some problems with mine sealing correctly, there is a mold line through the lip of the opening which causes some issues with the o-ring sealing properly. I've trimmed it up as best as I can with a sharp blade, but I still get some seepage occasionally when shaking the crap out of the wort to aerate it. Its not a big deal, just an annoyance.

Frothie said:
I've had some problems with mine sealing correctly, there is a mold line through the lip of the opening which causes some issues with the o-ring sealing properly. I've trimmed it up as best as I can with a sharp blade, but I still get some seepage occasionally when shaking the crap out of the wort to aerate it. Its not a big deal, just an annoyance.
You know I don't reckon half the people would glad-wrap if there wasn't always this issue with sealing fermenters.

I can't fathom that no-one has made a better design for that top seal. All they have to do is separate the sealing lid piece from the screw down top (same as mason jars) and it would work much more reliably. Currently you are twisting and putting all kinds of bad force on that seal as you screw the lid on.

{edit:image to illustrate point}

Canning-Jar-Final1.jpg

Hey Dudes,

I picked one of these up last week the drum style one.

I will be probably getting a drum also - need the extra fermenter room - going to start brewing some stouts.

The taps they had dont work(fit) with my bottle wand - the cooper supplied one.

When bottling with these do you guys just turn the tap on and off per bottle and let it flow into the bottles like that - let it froth up a little,

Will I run the risk of infection?

Back