New Bunnings "fermenter" Style Containers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I emailed BMW Plastics who are listed as the manufacturer and they emailed back all there HDPE is FDA classed as food safe. Can dig up the email tonight if people want.

From bunnings link, "Wide mouth with bung" ... Just the way I like them.

What do you think you will catch if it doesn't say food safe anywhere?

Shrunken testicles, growing boobs?

I just like to get on with life and ignore all this stuff, it's not made from radioactive lead lined with thalidamide dust.

That's a bit of a questionable opinion there punkin but nonetheless your opinion. Just don't be too carefree when drinking from any plastic in your home or from a shop for a consistently long amount of time. Your brewing life could be cut severely short.

citizensnips said:
That's a bit of a questionable opinion there punkin but nonetheless your opinion. Just don't be too carefree when drinking from any plastic in your home or from a shop for a consistently long amount of time. Your brewing life could be cut severely short.
So what your saying is, it is made from radio active, lead line, thalidomide dust! Awesome and I thought it was just the fresh hops from Yob making make beers taste so good :huh:

citizensnips said:

I drink 30 litres of beer a week. I don't think plastic is going to cut my life short.

Sorry to bump this thread, but what does everyone do to 'clean up' the tap holes on these containers?

I got another one of these the other day and the hole drilled into it for the tap is a bit messy on the inside. There are some rough edges which i think could be an issue for infections.

Chromakey said:
Sorry to bump this thread, but what does everyone do to 'clean up' the tap holes on these containers?

I got another one of these the other day and the hole drilled into it for the tap is a bit messy on the inside. There are some rough edges which i think could be an issue for infections.
Stanley Knife

When cleaning and sanitising, I take the tap out of course, but on reassembling I drip some Starsan into the tap thread well and use that as lube to tighten up the tap, then pour hot water into the vessel, shake and foam, put lid on and it's ready to be stored for next fermentation.

Probably the same flavour of blue that Willow has been using for a few years. I got one of the last white Willows to use for cold conditioning. Then they changed to blue, and I emailed them. Reply was that it's perfectly food safe, the reason they did it (and presumably Bunnings' supplier) is that most of these vessels are made for camping and no doubt strapped to the tops of those 4wd contraptions that infest the countryside and beaches, and the blue protects the plastic from UV deterioration.

Bribie G said:
Probably the same flavour of blue that Willow has been using for a few years. I got one of the last white Willows to use for cold conditioning. Then they changed to blue, and I emailed them. Reply was that it's perfectly food safe, the reason they did it (and presumably Bunnings' supplier) is that most of these vessels are made for camping and no doubt strapped to the tops of those 4wd contraptions that infest the countryside and beaches, and the blue protects the plastic from UV deterioration.
Just for a fleeting minute there, I thought it maybe good news. :unsure:

Latest posts

Back