New Beer!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben_sa

Now in 3V
Reaction score
Just got this email from the Wheatsheaf....

Little Creatures Special Bitter on tap at The Wheaty

A while back Little Creatures held a little brewing competition between their brewing and packaging guys - each entrant was to craft their own beer for a blind judging. The winner would have their brew replicated in the 10,000L brewhouse. So after much tasting, debate and more tasting, the big trophy went to Cam Barron, Packaging Man, with his Special Bitter.

As Brewmaster Alex Troncoso puts it: Special Bitter (sometimes referred to as Best Bitter) is a traditional English style of beer with a moderate alcohol content and firm bitternes. This Bitter was produced with a blend of Pale Ale, Crystal and Belgian Aromatic Malts. It is a single-hop beer, produced with 100% East Kent Goldings (traditional UK hop) used in several additions early and late kettle, along with whirlpool (we wanted to see what the beer would be like with only the traditional EKG hop coming through).The beer has a classic hop aroma - not fruity like pale, more earthy with a bit of orange marmalade coming through, combined with a firm bitterness. Subtle malt combined with the lower alcohol will make this one a nice early summer session beer.

Creatures Special Bitter (4.2% ABV) is a bold beer with a golden hue - the hop aroma is more subtle and English (think of an old stately fellow), but the bitterness will give you a run for you money (34 IBUs).

Come get Creatures Special Bitter at The Wheaty

From 1pm Monday 28th December until it runs out.

It wasn't on yesterday but as I left I saw a delivery of creatures kegs roll up, might have to go back today as I don't think they would have enough to last very long.

Just got this email from the Wheatsheaf....

Little Creatures Special Bitter on tap at The Wheaty

A while back Little Creatures held a little brewing competition between their brewing and packaging guys - each entrant was to craft their own beer for a blind judging. The winner would have their brew replicated in the 10,000L brewhouse. So after much tasting, debate and more tasting, the big trophy went to Cam Barron, Packaging Man, with his Special Bitter.

As Brewmaster Alex Troncoso puts it: Special Bitter (sometimes referred to as Best Bitter) is a traditional English style of beer with a moderate alcohol content and firm bitternes. This Bitter was produced with a blend of Pale Ale, Crystal and Belgian Aromatic Malts. It is a single-hop beer, produced with 100% East Kent Goldings (traditional UK hop) used in several additions early and late kettle, along with whirlpool (we wanted to see what the beer would be like with only the traditional EKG hop coming through).The beer has a classic hop aroma - not fruity like pale, more earthy with a bit of orange marmalade coming through, combined with a firm bitterness. Subtle malt combined with the lower alcohol will make this one a nice early summer session beer.

Creatures Special Bitter (4.2% ABV) is a bold beer with a golden hue - the hop aroma is more subtle and English (think of an old stately fellow), but the bitterness will give you a run for you money (34 IBUs).

Come get Creatures Special Bitter at The Wheaty

From 1pm Monday 28th December until it runs out.

This is currently on tap at the Pig & Whistle in Brisbane.

Which pig and whistle is it on at?

I thought there was a couple in town?

I wonder if this is at the little creatures dining hall in brunswick st melbourne yet?!?

Mossyrocks, Did you try it? if so what were your thoughts?

I did.. I had 1 then they ran out and it came back on later in the arvo.

I certainly don't believe it tastes like a beer supposedly at 34 IBU's. The aroma I agree was an earthy, almost dusty smell.

I ended up having 3 before I left. I would have it again (but then again the selection of beers at the Pig & Whistle isn't all that flash).

Cheers,

I did.. I had 1 then they ran out and it came back on later in the arvo.

I certainly don't believe it tastes like a beer supposedly at 34 IBU's. The aroma I agree was an earthy, almost dusty smell.

I ended up having 3 before I left. I would have it again (but then again the selection of beers at the Pig & Whistle isn't all that flash).

Cheers,
Riverside one Mossy??
We should have gone there instead of the platform yesterday :(

Which pig and whistle is it on at?

I thought there was a couple in town?

yep on at riverside Pig and Whistle. Had a few pints last Friday night. I really liked the aroma. Very easy to drink. Not all that bitter though. Was very surprised they had it. Had to google it as soon as I saw it. Shame I'm on break from work I the city over christmas. Would be in there for lunch every day.

Saturday put down an English IPA with 100% EK Goldings, cause i enjoyed the special put wanted a touch more bitterness.

I wonder if this is at the little creatures dining hall in brunswick st melbourne yet?!?

The Local had it/has it on so kegs are in Melbourne so I would assume they have it. Dont get too excited though...

yep on at riverside Pig and Whistle. Had a few pints last Friday night. I really liked the aroma. Very easy to drink. Not all that bitter though. Was very surprised they had it. Had to google it as soon as I saw it. Shame I'm on break from work I the city over christmas. Would be in there for lunch every day.

Saturday put down an English IPA with 100% EK Goldings, cause i enjoyed the special put wanted a touch more bitterness.

Bugger, won't be able to get into the city till the new year.
A great partner to EKG is Progress as the 90 minute hop, say 45g Progress then 30g EKG 10 mins and 15g EKG flameout (or dry hop if no chilling). Match made in heaven.

I tried this 2 weeks ago at the brewery and thought it was pretty good. It was stinking hot and I had just one pint of the bitter. It wasn't as agreesively hopped as their other beers, bitter but restrained on flavour additions. A good example of the style I thought. Tasty drop..

I tried this 2 weeks ago at the brewery and thought it was pretty good. It was stinking hot and I had just one pint of the bitter. It wasn't as agreesively hopped as their other beers, bitter but restrained on flavour additions. A good example of the style I thought. Tasty drop..

Hey Hockadays,

Thanks for the feedback - I was waiting to see if anyone tasted it and had anything to say... I reckon it was spot on for a Special Bitter, but whether or not that gets anyone excited is another question... Sometimes if these things are like our other beers we get "it's like pale ale", or if it is quite different we get "that's not like Little Creatures"... so these things are always a gamble.

We have been happy with it at the brewery and I know Cam (who's homebrew recipe it was) was stoked to brew it. I think the kegs are just about gone (well, they were gone this morning, but I think I have another 15 hiding in a corner somewhere!).

There just might be something nice and hoppy coming up in a couple of months... I'll let you guys know when we know what is going on. We just got around 8tonnes of US Cascade delivered, so that'll give you a hint.......

Cheers,

Alex

Latest posts

Back