Need to be taught

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bboozh

Reaction score
Hi there brewers I have been brewing beer from a can for years but know I am in the process of building a rims brewing system and was wondering if there is anyone in the Central West NSW around Bathurst or Orange area that can help me understand more about this system.

IMHO start by getting a handle on a 3v all grain system 1st before going all out with RIMS/HERMS. Break the changes into smaller pieces and you'll be able to figure it all out.

Hi there, I don't understand what a 3v all grain system is .

Sounds like you have a lot of reading to do. Watch out brewing uses lots of jargon.

3v = 3 Vessels

These are:

HLT (Hot Liquor Tank) -'hot liquor' really just means hot water, this is where you heat the water here to add to the mash tun.
Mash Tun - this is where you steep the grains and water to get the sugars.
Kettle. - this is where you boil the sugary water (wort) and add hops.

That's basically what a 3v system is. There are lots of variations though. Look at some on Youtube, might give you a clearer idea of how they work.

Thanks for that sounds like I do have a lot of reading to do.

Don't let the reading / specifics scare you off... The process can be complicated if you want it to, it can also be quite simple.

You CAN do all grain brewing with nothing but an esky, grain bag and large pot/s.
It's a good way to get started without making the investment into more equipment, it helps understanding how things work, why the additional equipment is useful and how it will make things easier.

You could always do a mini mash - you can more or less do a small version of the same process and top it up with malt extract.

Best place to start reading is John Palmers How to Brew. The first edition is available free online but I'd suggest buying the latest addition book. It has everything from the basics to more advanced stuff like water chemistry

Not sure how to post a link so it may not work but just google it if you have to.

http://www.howtobrew.com

Sorry yeah, 3v = 3 vessels, all grain means you are extracting all of your sugars for fermentation using grain as the primary source (as opposed to extract). Read the above link or buy the book (which is more up to date than the website) and also consider BIAB (Brew in a Bag - lots of good info at www.biabrewer.info). Is there a local home brew shop? They'll be happy to discuss these concepts with you - or at least they should be.

The problem with RIMS is that you have to mess with pumps and valves and all that jazz. The jump from kits to all grain is much more manageable and then if you want to go from there to RIMS, that jump is also manageable.

Hi bboozh,

I'm in Manildra, about half hour from Orange, towards Parkes. I brew using the Brew In A Bag method (BIAB). Basically you use only one pot for heating water, mashing and boiling. Happy for you to come out and watch the process first hand. Alternatively, call in to Country Brewer in Bathurst. The owner, Brian, is a good man to talk to about brewing.

Cheers,

I forgot to add it's not as difficult as it seems. It's one of those hobbies that can be as easy or difficult as you want to make it.

I would recommend going all-grain, my beer improved hugely. Especially if you are using cans of goo.

As Pat says it isn't that difficult, the hardest part is getting past the divisive arguments about what to do and how to do it, try things for yourself, read as much as possible and master one step at a time.

bboozh, I live in Orange and have learnt A LOT in the past few months with my 3 vessel HERMS setup. I have a slightly-ruined beer on tap at the moment which is drinkable, and plan to do a brew in 3 weeks.

You're welcome to come and drink as many weissbiers as you like and witness the process from start to fermenter. Seeing it in action is the best way to learn. I suggest watching the process and then deciding if you want to do brew in a bag, 2-3 vessel or RIMS.

As simple or as complicated as you make the system, mastering the process will get you top-notch beers no matter which way you go.

The Wiggman ,I would like to see how it is done hands on is the best way. How do I get in touch with you I live in Blayney.

TheWiggman said:
As simple or as complicated as you make the system, mastering the process will get you top-notch beers no matter which way you go.
+100 couldn't agree more.

No problem with starting small. You'll soon find out it works and decide if / what you need to upgrade.

Example...

My reason for upgrading from stove top and smaller pot to a burner and larger pot was the time it took to get to a boil... Between heating my strike water and raising my wort to a boil, I cut my brew time down by almost an hour.

Other benefits included ability to have a larger boil volume, moved brewery outside, safety (no moving boiling wort in pots)

Latest posts

Back