Need help/advice before buying a 'new' coopers kit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nizmoose

Reaction score
Hi guys so I've been using a coopers fermenter with airlock for quite some time now with a friend and am looking into buying a new kit and only just realised that the coopers kits now have the Krausen collar and taller lid without an airlock. Any comments or suggestions here? I really liked using an airlock and it's what I'm used to but if this does the job then I guess I'd be happy to oblige? Is there any way to get the kit and get a normal lid with an airlock?

If all you are looking for is a new fermenter, go to Bunnings & get one of their water containers. They are the same as the old style fermenters.

I am sure you can find somewhere that sells airlocks. If not I may be able to find my old one in the bottom of the wardrobe.

I use the new style of fermenter, I haven't used the Krausen Kollar yet as I haven't needed it. My old fermenter is used as a bulk priming container.

Coopers sell the new style fermenters online if you don't want everything that comes in the kit.

Oh I figured I'd buy a whole new kit, stuff is getting old and the old fermenter and stuff will probably just be kept at my mates so I am in the market for a whole new kit. Do you think it'd be easy to find a correctly sized lid with a hole for airlock? If people have found these new fermenters work heaps well anyway though then I suppose Im not too fussed.

Wilkensone said:
A lot of LHBS will sell their own kits if you are looking for all the accessories too.. I would maybe have a look around the sponsor sites where you can buy the bits own their own such as this fermentation bucket: http://www.grainandgrape.com.au/products/category/VJBBQTYR%20fermenters/7FERM+25L+THERMO. Maybe let us know what bits you need?
This is looking like a tempting option to just build my own kit, if I bought all the bits that are in the coopers kit would it come out around the same price? (I will do the maths later :p )

It might not come out the same price but you could probably buy better quality bits to start with if you know what you want.. have a good search around. Half the fun is research and comparison to see what you can get! :p

i bought a copper tun kit - full starter kit with 30lt fermenter and bottles - 78.00 from my LHBS great old school, easy to use design

i wont mention there site being they are not a site sponsor, and don't want to disrespect the mods.

I got a new coopers fermenter with the collar. I'm really impressed with it. The legs are great. As well the tap is a good design you can fully brake it down and makes cleaning easy.
My 2c

The new Coopers Kit is probably fine, just different- I have always used a airlock, however I couldn't fit the fermenter into my fridge- so decision made. Plus as I have ample bottles, cappers, hygrometer etc do not need the kit.

I got a new fermented at a LHBS - worked for me!

I wanna get a stainless one in the long run- easier to clean plus the sexy value

I've been using the new K-collar kit and despite being a total noob am finding it fine. My only complaint is the tap is rather high up the side so the last couple of six packs require me to tilt the fermenter with one hand and bottle with the other. I'm not really sold on the benefits of the collar though, all my ferments have been in a fridge and cool so I have not so far had any issues with a massive krausen, even with my current nottingham brew (at 17 degrees) which I had been led to believe was an explosive fermenter. I'm considering just leaving the thing off in the future.

Okay just spent a fair amount of time on the net looking at parts to make my own kit versus the coopers kit. Looked at a few HBS's in my area as well as grain and grape (interstate for me) and came to the conclusion (pending any other ideas or suggestions?) of going with grain and grape. The prices among the different places are not that significant but the reason I think I'm swaying away from the coopers kit is a) I'm just not sold on the new fermenter due to the lid and the tap being a bit high and B) I'm paying for a few things I dont want or need such as the PET bottles and the DVD, etc. Thinking of getting the following from g and g:

-30L Fermenter with tap and airlock $36
-Hydrometer with flask $15
-Bottling Valve $5
-Spoon $5
Totalling $61 and shipping is around 14 which brings me to 75 which is cheaper than the coopers kit and means I can choose something other than the lager extract that usually comes with the coopers kit.
My last question would be do people like grain and grape? Never bought from interstate before but is the owner or a representative on here at all? Peoples opinions? Go with them?

jongylary said:
i bought a copper tun kit - full starter kit with 30lt fermenter and bottles - 78.00 from my LHBS great old school, easy to use design

i wont mention there site being they are not a site sponsor, and don't want to disrespect the mods.
You can still mention them if they aren't a sponsor (unless I'm mistaken). Lots of people give plugs to shops that don't sponsor the site.

Nizmoose said:
My last question would be do people like grain and grape? Never bought from interstate before but is the owner or a representative on here at all? Peoples opinions? Go with them?
I've been into their store a few times and bought a number of things. Good range and good/knowledgeable people.
Not sure what your currently doing for sanitising but i'd recommend their no rinse sanitiser Defender. I used it for a while with good results. Might as well chuck it on the order if you end up using them.

I don't think there's any need to worry. If you bought something from somewhere and it is a good product, good service whatever then the community can benefit from knowing.

Grain and grape are site sponsors. John has an account here but it is very rarely used.

My experience of them is generally fantastic. They are not the cheapest although a lot of what they have is well/competitively priced, they have a great range (among the best if not the best) of ingredients, accessories, equipment etc and their service has always been great. They are supporters of Homebrewing (John was/is one of the major people behind ANHC and has always been happy to offer sponsorship to clubs and competitions) and generally helpful, polite and knowledgeable.

Like any business, nothing is perfect and you will find people who've had an issue here and there - my experience is that they are keen to sort out any real issue promptly and that you will find many more people with positive experiences than negative ones.

Craftbrewer are similarly well stocked, well priced and good on the service etc.. I have mail ordered from both (GG is more local so I tend more towards them) as well as Gryphon brewing and a couple of others. Experiences all good.

Also local to you are beerbelly (all grain equipment and ingredients) and brewadelaide (Nige). I've not ordered from either but have heard very good things about BA service.

I surprised nobody has mentioned the possibility of not using the airlock and having glad wrap instead..

30ltr fermenters can be had for $20-22 at bunnings an they sell the tap there aswell, or you could buy the bottling kit from big w and that has a tap which fits + a bottling wand also.

As far as grain and grape go manticle pretty much summed it up. I did buy my first hombrew kit from them and was very happy with it. Bonus for Melbourne guys is that there starter kit which is about $95 come with a fresh wort kit.

I didn't like the coopers kit because I couldn't shake the fermenter when its full of napisan/sod perc, it ends up everywhere on me instead of cleaning the inside!

JUst thought I'd put a final reply up here, After much deliberation I went with Beerbelly and they were great! Got a Hydrometer, 30L Fermenter with tap and airlock, Starsan and bottling valve. Great prices and they were so helpful and nice to talk to!

Have been using the style of coopers kit you're talking about for 2yrs now. I mostly use US05 or 34/70 yeast and don't use the krausen collar- never had a spill over. The whole kit is very easy to clean with no threads or deep corners, it doesn't need an airlock so one less thing to clean ;)
As for the high tap issue - I bought a 'better bottle' carboy racking adapter from GandG which will get another liter or 2 without having to tilt the fermenter

Back