Need clarification! Which layer is the yeast?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luvbrewin

Reaction score
As the bottom layer is really light in colour is the yeast still the second layer from the bottom?
Wyeast Ringwood ale.. ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1438419143.635384.jpg

I've started washing my yeast recently and had this same trouble I found time to be my best friend . Let it sit in fridge in the flask yeast layer ( white ) will become compact kept poring off water then add New boiled water try get rid of any hop oils and trub the yeast doesn't like to grow if there's to much oil .it suffocates the yeast cells

Coo brewing said:
I've started washing my yeast recently and had this same trouble I found time to be my best friend . Let it sit in fridge in the flask yeast layer ( white ) will become compact kept poring off water then add New boiled water try get rid of any hop oils and trub the yeast doesn't like to grow if there's to much oil .it suffocates the yeast cells
That's a large part of the reason that I simply over build my starters and harvest a portion of them into a mason jar for re-use. No issues with hop oils, no faffing about with rinsing/washing it. Just tip it in and fridge it. B)

Thanks for the feedback guys!! Rocker1986 I reckon I will try your method hey!! Less stuffing around and I like that idea[emoji23][emoji482][emoji482]

I've been doing it for the last probably 4-5 months now, and it's been working really well. I actually get two layers in my jar, a creamy white layer on the bottom, and a darker layer on the top. However, I haven't noticed any ill effect from it, and it never seems to appear like this in the flask itself once it's been crashed in the fridge. All the batches brewed with this re-used yeast have turned out perfectly fine and as expected. It's a tick from me! :D

Rocker1986 said:
That's a large part of the reason that I simply over build my starters and harvest a portion of them into a mason jar for re-use. No issues with hop oils, no faffing about with rinsing/washing it. Just tip it in and fridge it. B)
I have started doing the same. Currently have a German Lager (WLP830) on its 4th round in 200 ml. It will go into 2 litres tommorrow, then into the fridge to settle and decant off the liquid.

I'm really staring to wonder how long I can continue to do this before I should start with new yeast?

That's a good question actually. I've got some WY2001 that will be on its 5th gen next time I use it, pitched the 4th gen into a batch on Thursday. I don't really know how many re-uses you can get with this method, guess I'll just keep going until I start to notice issues with it. :unsure:

Maybe it is just a matter of sanitation and how long before wild yeast and bacteria begin to become apparent.

Also read somewhere that decanting too early and selecting the most flocculant yeast, can eventually lead to attenuation problems.

Time will tell I guess.

I think as long as cleaning and sanitation practices are up to scratch, then infections shouldn't be a problem, and the brewing yeast should dominate anything else that may be floating around.

As for decanting too early, my schedule is always to run it on the stir plate for however long, depending on activity (usually about 24 hours or so), though I rarely go over 48 hours, then leave it sit another couple of days to finish fermenting, then stir it all up again to harvest it.

I've had no problems with attenuation with the 2001 strain so far, they've all finished sub 1010 in the proper batches. Usually around 1007-08. Lower than I'd like actually, but I am experimenting with mashing schedules to get the FG where I want it.

Rocker1986 said:
I think as long as cleaning and sanitation practices are up to scratch, then infections shouldn't be a problem, and the brewing yeast should dominate anything else that may be floating around.

As for decanting too early, my schedule is always to run it on the stir plate for however long, depending on activity (usually about 24 hours or so), though I rarely go over 48 hours, then leave it sit another couple of days to finish fermenting, then stir it all up again to harvest it.

I've had no problems with attenuation with the 2001 strain so far, they've all finished sub 1010 in the proper batches. Usually around 1007-08. Lower than I'd like actually, but I am experimenting with mashing schedules to get the FG where I want it.
Can recommend this, I've also been taking some yeast from my starters for the sale of both purity and less genetic drift. I make small batches so my starter is only 1L, I overbuild them by 100 billion cells, before I cold crash I split 100 billion cells worth of starter (flask just off the stir Plate so that the cells are spread evenly through the starter) into a separate jar and cold crash both, the bigger portion gets pitched and the 100B gets stored to start the next starter. Since doing this I've noticed that the starters smell much more yeasty as opposed to the smell I got from washed yeast out of the fermenter where hops were noticeable even with a good wash.

I only wish I'd known about this method a lot earlier than I did. All the faffing about with washing/rinsing it out of the fermenter is the main reason I stopped harvesting yeast, just couldn't be bothered with it after a while.

I only ever go two mutations. I'll have 2 beer ready to go, make a massive starter, keep some for next time, brew first batch, reuse yeast cake for 2nd batch, then for beer 3/4 I'll use the split from the starter. Works well also. Look up slant plates if you wanna get right into it.

I've never given yeast washing much thought but that's easy to do,I have 3 stubbies of trub from my last brew capped and sitting in my beer fridge.
So I might give washing a go during the week as I'm planning on brewing next weekend.
Thanks for the video.

spog said:
I've never given yeast washing much thought but that's easy to do,I have 3 stubbies of trub from my last brew capped and sitting in my beer fridge.
So I might give washing a go during the week as I'm planning on brewing next weekend.
Thanks for the video.
Be careful when you open them! It can be reminiscent of those bicarb soda volcanos

Latest posts

Back