Nectar In Brisbane Is Closing Down

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd agree with L R G - we have so much going for us here in Brisbane and are "united" in ways that they don't have in the other Capitals except perhaps the ACT and to a degree Adelaide. For example there's no SABBs or MABBs or PABBs equivalent of our BABBs, their suppliers - whilst excellent (and I have bought from several mail order) - are in various locations serving different geographic areas, whereas there's a definite sense of a community that has developed around CraftBrewer - for example I can pop in and I will inevitably run into AHB members who are not necessarily in BABBs and I never get out of there within an hour and a half......

It's a pity that the commercial market isn't catching up as fast. It seems like trying to move a brick by pulling on a long rubber band - who knows the brick might shift eventually. I'm a bit heartened by the fact that I work evenings in the Valley and on my way home to the train I pass footpath Chinese Restaurant tables, and the BYO nowadays is likely a LCPA or a Fat Yak as opposed to the compulsory Sol a few years ago. However the relentless hammering of the megas promoting case buys of Maxxx Lyttte Shyyte brews is disappointing. Another trend that I note is the effect parallel imports are having. Even in the Courier mail whenever there's an online beer story about VB whatever there are increasingly comments like "why spend $50 on a carton of puke when I can get a carton of top quality German beer for half the price"... clearly these guys aren't home brewers and maybe a mind shift is happening in the perception of what represents good beer.

End rant, all the best to the Nectar people in their new enterprises.

thanks Nate and Gravityguru,

I appreciate your appreciation.

Nate, how's things man?
you still over seas? did you catch up with Jason or do you keep in touch with him?

i hope all's well.

Carl

Hey Carl,

Yeah I met up with Jason in London last year and still keep in touch. Life's good over here. I'm now brewing at Kernel, if you're ever over in this part of the world do pop in and say hi.

Cheers and all the best,

Nate

We turned up at 11 today, that'll teach us to read the website first.
Oh well, trip is on again tomorrow :icon_cheers:

:icon_offtopic: Good stuff Nate. I hope to get over there next year (if I can be extracted from Belgium).

What will the 2 Blokes with Beer podcast complain about now?

But more importantly - where will they get good beers in Brissie??!!

Seriously - very sorry to hear they're closing down, always loved picking up Cantillon beers there, especially Rose de Gambrinus.

You'll be missed.

Cheers

Kev

Just like to say a big thanks to Carl at Nectar, bought many beers from the shop and some decent wines for the other half as well.. Never had a bad drop.
Great service and a Awesome range of beverages. I wish you well in your new venture and thanks
Cheers

Great in there. They are thankful for all the support. Just not the market there. Apparently, on a weekly basis someone would abuse him, because they came in and couldn't buy Tooheys, XXXX or VB.

It doesn't say much for bris-vegas - but probably more for West End.

Anyways, here is my stash:

02072011167.jpg

Also got 2 x Japanese Sapporos (for my brothers - they are Japanophiles and boringbeerophiles) and an O'Briens PA for my Gluten Intolerant mate.

Got a couple of Thorogoods, but had to leave before I talked myself into buying all of the Apple beer stock (still seriously considering it :icon_cheers: ) picked up a refill while I was at it to compair with my archive entry.

What sort of discounts are Nectar offering off their normal prices?

Wondering if it is worth me popping in to pick up a few bottles.

It will be a bit of a drive for me.

Adam.

thanks for your support Tazman, i appreciate it greatly.

Adam77,

we have a few brews marked down to a specific price but we are now offering 20% off all beer (excluding 6 packs and cartons) to people that have supported us along the way.

all wine is marked down to a dollar or two above cost price.

if you come in, mention that you read this and i'll see that you get well looked after.

cheers.

Thanks Carl,

I tried calling a couple of times this afternoon, but only got the answering machine. I wanted to make sure that you would be open this afternoon.

I will try and pop in after work on Wednesday.

Thanks,

Adam.

yeah our phone has been playing up for a week or so now...
call me lazy but i figure it's not worth the fix when we're almost done.
and it's kind of nice not having to answer it every 5 minutes..

We open at midday (or 5 past) and close around 8pm 6 days a week, closed monday.

cheers

I'm heading to Brisbane tomorrow night to drive a car back. If Nectar has closed down & Craftbrewer isn't selling beers anymore, where should I go to load up the wagon with some nice beers? Reading this thread I only saw Festival Cellars Red Hill mentioned. I'll be driving Northside to Capalaba then west to Mt Isa, so don't mind driving around a bit.

head over to west end and pop into archive... Only a few doors down from nectar and has a great range out the back in the refrigerated cellar

Will do. I'm likely to get stuck there though. Maybe I'll hit the road Saturday morning....
Edit - Just saw their website. It's gonna be an expensive trip.

Looks good Northside. I'll bung these addresses into my Nuvi & see how lost it can get me.

I'm heading to Brisbane tomorrow night to drive a car back. If Nectar has closed down & Craftbrewer isn't selling beers anymore, where should I go to load up the wagon with some nice beers? Reading this thread I only saw Festival Cellars Red Hill mentioned. I'll be driving Northside to Capalaba then west to Mt Isa, so don't mind driving around a bit.

Muddzy,

Selling stops at end of this month - Plenty of beers left & at prices you'll never see again. You just need to order a day ahead so I can bring them into the store.

cheers Ross

Just had my last Nectar visit today. Shelves are looking very empty. Carl says Saturday will be the last day of business.

Grand Central Hotel in Brs City is pretty good too

Back