Nectar In Brisbane Is Closing Down

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've visited and on a few occasions bought beer from Nectar, and I will be sad to see them close. I did wonder about some of the steep pricing, storage, and turnaround of stock there sometimes though. It WAS the only place I could ever find the wonderful Temple brews!

McFeast - I used the term "apparently", along with inverted commas to invoke a sense of irony.

I'm not mad on Sydney either.

I sometimes troll gumtree and if someone wants a beer kit, I send them a link to AHB to help them out. I think you're right about imparting as much knowledge as possible.

Goomba

Dam shame !
I only made it there once on a Monday arvo and of corse it was closed.
Will have to drop in to see what it was like and pick up a few sale beers.
Do they stock Siera Nevada at all ?

Not quite Ashgrove but there is a good little bottle shop on waterworks road in Red Hill. Just as you come over the hill outbound, go past the windsor rd intersection and the little set of shops on the left, theres then a bottlo/small deli on the left hand side. Not a vast selection but its good. Ususally have a worthy mix of international and aussie craft breweries. There's a Sink the Bismark behind the counter if that's any sort of yardstick to go by.
That would be Festival Cellars Red Hill - Good selection in there !

Brisbane is not a world city, yet Goomba. The only real world city in Australia is Sydney. I hate Sydney.

I'm curious; what is a world city? I don't mean what particular cities but rather what constitutes a 'world city'.

I've visited and on a few occasions bought beer from Nectar, and I will be sad to see them close. I did wonder about some of the steep pricing, storage, and turnaround of stock there sometimes though. It WAS the only place I could ever find the wonderful Temple brews!

firstly, thank you all for your support and interest in what we do at nectar.
it's a shame to be closing but the simple fact of the matter is we're not making enough money to justify our existance, it's a hard slog being a small independent retailer in the beer game, it's impossible to compete with coles, woolies and other chain stores as their buying power is massive and ours is non existant.
it's not uncommon to pick up cartons of beer at dans or 1st choice for less than what we buy them for at wholesale cost, how can we expect to battle that?

i wasn't going to get involved in this chat but i must say, the comment from Snowdog rattled my chain a tad.
Snowdog, Our storage conditions and turn around of stock have never been a problem.
Our air con has never been turned off in the last three years and our storage area is pretty dark.
I have taken a great deal of pride in stocking beers that are as fresh as possible and have been well stored.
If a beer that we stock gets too close to the "best before" date i either throw it out or drink it myself, more often than not i drink it myself.
In regards to your "steep pricing" comment, I never claim to be the cheapest in town, but i do claim to offer knowledgeable service
and i believe we have a range of beer second to none in Brisbane.
If you understood how much we have to pay for a lot of the beers we stock and that we have absolutely no buying power compared to the larger stores who can buy pallets of beer in one hit to get a much cheaper price, you may understand our "steep pricing".

Snowdog, I'm definately not trying to stir you, i just felt that people reading your comments may be interested in hearing my perspective on those topics.

So, once again... thanks for your support and interest.

ah yes... the closing down sale...

the sale has begun and there's bargains to be had so come down..

Carl
nectar beer and wine

Well, this vulture has begun picking at the carcass...
Nectar.jpg
Some old favorites and some new treats

Get in quick for that Thorogood's cider Winkle.....

Well, this vulture has begun picking at the carcass...
View attachment 46775
Some old favorites and some new treats

Get in quick for that Thorogood's cider Winkle.....

Still at work.
!@#$!@#%#$^$#$&%*%^*^( !!

Quick Campbell, get down and get the bottles of lapdance before they go. ;)

Plenty of bottles of their dark malted apple beer there....that's the pick of the litter in my books.

Plenty of bottles of their dark malted apple beer there....that's the pick of the litter in my books.
You've talked me into it :icon_cheers:

Don't suppose you do mail order...

Just echoing the thoughts of those mourning the passing of a great bottle shop. I found Carl great to deal with, and have consumed many a handsome bottle from Nectar's shelves. Hopefully said shelves have not been stripped bare by the time I get back to Brisvegas from bumf%&! no-where and I can grab a bargain or two myself...

RIP Nectar...

Cheers, GG

Ed - Spullink...

Such a shame...over the last few years i picked up so many great beers at Nectar. Another huge step back for the Brisbane beer scene. Thanks Carl for being a great advocate for good beer. All the best in the future...

I'm a bit apprehensive about a post here ... but ...

* The store was impeccably presented when we popped in. Stock, look and feel and general feel was great. Felt I was in a Double Bay wine shop ... some 'wow' factors for the stock they had, so it was well though out and some hard work had gone into the list
* And then we got to some of the pricing. We are from Sydney, we run a venue which charges a premium and we got a bit caught on some of the pricing in the ciders. Did not realise much after that really as was a bit shocked really.

Sitting on my lofty mountain top, when Bris-Vegas comes of age it will surpass any other region in Aus for Craft Beer. Be patient folks ...

Scotty

I think you're right /// about coming of age (that was the gist of part of my post) - we have a massive craft brew at home scene (not trying to sound pompous, but some big award winning brews that would be as good as any micro) - high number of very experienced brewers, the best craft beer supplies shop in the country (who now has a micro as well) and opportunities such as Archive's competition to get your beer "published".

I think this is a massive step back, but I think that we have some factors that could really build momentum, once they got started.

thanks Nate and Gravityguru,

I appreciate your appreciation.

Nate, how's things man?
you still over seas? did you catch up with Jason or do you keep in touch with him?

i hope all's well.

Carl

Back