Native Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnathon B. Goode

Reaction score
I heard the early settlers used the seeds off the sticky hop bush (Dodonaea viscosa) to brew grog. So I was thinking could I brew something using those for hops and some wattle or kurrajong seeds.
I guess it might taste horrible but worth a try and iv'e never brewed before so I was wondering things like:

What do I have to do to my seeds to make it just like the grains you put in a brew?
Rough idea of quantities (I think i'll just use a 36cm demijohn)
What kind of yeast and sugar you recommend and could I use lilly pillies or native oranges or something like that?

Maybe you've seen something like this before? Reckon it's a good idea or should I change something?

Barons had a black wattle ale and a lemon myrtle wit from memory. Never tried either but you may get some feed back from around here on them. May give you an idea of a slightly different direction to head.

Dodonaea viscosa was used to flavour/bitter early ales before hops were introduced. Also used by Aboriginal peoples to treat toothache, pain, cuts and stings.

You can't make wattle seeds into malted barley. Rather it can be used to flavour a beer, just like any herb or spice can be utilised to add flavour/aroma

Bridges said:
Barons had a black wattle ale and a lemon myrtle wit from memory. Never tried either but you may get some feed back from around here on them. May give you an idea of a slightly different direction to head.
Both of those is back on the market (as the link you posted partly suggests...) so he can try them for himself should he fancy.

[EDIT: typo]

Black wattle are used to be on tap at the duck and swan chippendale Sydney. Beautiful malty ale with that lovely chocolatey wattle seed flavor, very lightly hopped. Man, I miss that beer. Someone on here was talking about something similar or cloning that wattle seed ale, can't remember who though.

pickaxe

NewtownClown said:
Dodonaea viscosa was used to flavour/bitter early ales before hops were introduced. Also used by Aboriginal peoples to treat toothache, pain, cuts and stings.

You can't make wattle seeds into malted barley. Rather it can be used to flavour a beer, just like any herb or spice can be utilised to add flavour/aroma
Yes this is what i'm not sure of, do I have to boil my wattle/kurrajong seeds or do I just throw it all in?

Water > Seeds > Hops (gonna roast some hopbush seeds) > Yeast > Bit of honey or some lilly pillies or a bit of native orange or something? Am I missing anything/should I change something?

You need malted barley (unless that's what you are referring to as seeds) or malt extract..

Malt + water = sweet wort
Wort + hops + boiled > chilled or "no chilled" + yeast > fermentation = beer.

Sugar is consumed by yeast to make co2 and alcohol.

If I had never brewed before, I'd use unhopped malt extract, and add seeds/hops/herbs rather than starting out with all grain.

Latest posts

Back