Nasa, Mongolian Or Italian Spiral Burner

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wallablack

Reaction score
I am getting out of kit brewing and buying a few things from Beerbelly soon. Which burner would you recommend as I have zero experience with them and want some experienced feedback.
I have not decided between a 50L or 70L SS Stock Pot yet. I will only be doing 20's to start with but think if I go big now it will save spending again later if I wish to do bigger.
My problem is what burner to buy. I have researched on AHB but it seems to be a much of a muchness.
Which burner would you recommend and why?

Cheers.

I've got an Italian and it's great for night brewing (like now ;) - got one on the boil ) as it's whisper quiet. It does take a while to heat to strike temp, but that said it's not a beerbelly italian and it's on a medium reg, not high.

Nasas and Rambos get the thumbs up from many as being speedy (and noisy), but I gather from posts I've read the beerbellys italians are pretty good.

Dunno about mongolians - have seen plenty of people wanting to trade out of theirs, but have spoken to brewers who love them too. Very mixed on that one - probably depends on whether you go a 24 or 32. Bigger would be better.

Hopper.

Best thing about Mongolians is you can run them on NG if you ever wanna tap your house mains and never run out of gas again....

2c.

Best thing about Mongolians is you can run them on NG if you ever wanna tap your house mains and never run out of gas again....

2c.

Is that peculiar only to a mongolian or are there other burners you can plumb into your household mains?

I thought you could change jet sizes in 3/4 ring burners to get them to run on NG?

RM

Is that peculiar only to a mongolian or are there other burners you can plumb into your household mains?

I thought you could change jet sizes in 3/4 ring burners to get them to run on NG?

RM

Yeah RM, I have read that some where too... by all means I am not a burner expert!

What I understand is a 3 or 4 ring will need some mod-ing to run NG but you can do it... BUT I know a mongolian or duck bill will run LPG or NG off the shelf!

Cheers

I've got an Italian and it's great for night brewing (like now ;) - got one on the boil ) as it's whisper quiet. It does take a while to heat to strike temp, but that said it's not a beerbelly italian and it's on a medium reg, not high.

Nasas and Rambos get the thumbs up from many as being speedy (and noisy), but I gather from posts I've read the beerbellys italians are pretty good.

Dunno about mongolians - have seen plenty of people wanting to trade out of theirs, but have spoken to brewers who love them too. Very mixed on that one - probably depends on whether you go a 24 or 32. Bigger would be better.

Hopper.

I am leaning away from the Mongolian mainly due to the venturis on each jet.
I will always keep mine on a 9kg so I shouldn't really need any adjustability.

mongolians are available in either NG or LPG unit off the shelf one or the other, one unit does not serve both gases as may have been misunderstood by previous posts ,i think the hole in the jets are a different size , (larger for natural gas i believe as the pressure is less)

Yeah RM, I have read that some where too... by all means I am not a burner expert!

What I understand is a 3 or 4 ring will need some mod-ing to run NG but you can do it... BUT I know a mongolian or duck bill will run LPG or NG off the shelf!

Cheers

Yep I have a 3 ring running on NG. I got a gas fitter to make some small tweaks to the jets and then you need a NG reg and you're away!

NG is a fraction of the price of LPG and you never need to worry about the gas bottle running out mid brew!

Re the burner decision, a 3 ring easily manages a double batch. If you are doing mainly 20L batches I reckon all of the burners you listed are more than you really need. All will do the job but a 3 ring is all you need.

You will shoot yourself in the foot with a mongolian - they have so much grunt that you will have to taper it back for the boil and then you will get heaps of sooting. The Nasa and Spiral don't have that problem but are pretty serious burners for single batches in my view.

Italian spiral gets my vote, powerfull and quiet...has a great stand too!

seems like you almost cant go wrong. recently got a nasa and am looking forward to using it for the first time next weekend. the only worry i had was if the stand would be sufficient for a converted keg. no problems. the stand is plenty big enough and the weight wont bother it at all. like you im still doing single batches but may move to doubles once i get into a regular routine of filling/emptying kegs.
joe

Can I say how much I like the Rambo - both for boiling (different coloured) water and 'cause it fits all my woks perfectly - you want that Chinese/Thai stir fried take away taste?

Although they'll probably all burn food... :lol:

seems like you almost cant go wrong. recently got a nasa and am looking forward to using it for the first time next weekend. the only worry i had was if the stand would be sufficient for a converted keg. no problems. the stand is plenty big enough and the weight wont bother it at all. like you im still doing single batches but may move to doubles once i get into a regular routine of filling/emptying kegs.
joe

A 60L keg at 395mm diameter is a fraction to big for the nasa frame and needs to be modified also I found the keg needs to be raised 10mm so it can draw more air in when running at high pressure otherwise it will burn with a yellow flame and smoke. I have a high pressure reg driving mine.

cheers

righto beernut. should have said my keg is 40L

righto beernut. should have said my keg is 40L

I wasn't aware there was a 40L keg Joe must be a smaller diameter. The diameter of the 50 and 60 are the same except the 60 is taller. My MLT and Kettle are both 60's and the mash tun is a 50.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back