My worst fear about my kids has been realised

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ducatiboy stu

Reaction score
So.. i pick up my kids from their holiday center today and the youngest, who is 8.5 pipes up

" Dad, ***** ( one of the carers ) wants me to go around to his place so we can play playstation and he wants to show me his new games "

I ******* shit myself

I will be be mentioning it directly with management

To say that I am in a some what fucked up state is putting it mildly....

Krikey mate. Keep talking to your kids..
Hopefully its ur kid just getting excited about gaming- and a stupid comment from the carer. Certainly don't drop it though.

Not so bad. I thought you were going to tell us they'd bought (sorry - downloaded) a taylor swift album (sorry - collection of hits on mp3 lossless) and could sing all the words.

^Totally misread original post. Please see below.

Sorry I totally misread. Ignore the above. That is unprofessional at the very least, seventeen thousand shades of wrong at worst.

mudd said:
Krikey mate. Keep talking to your kids..
Hopefully its ur kid just getting excited about gaming- and a stupid comment from the carer. Certainly don't drop it though.
The oldest, 10, picked it up straight away...he is on the ball, telling his brother that not to be so silly

Fkn hell.

RDWHAHB.

Seriously though, don't mention it, report it to the police.

Its a big one. The center is really good and I dont want to bring them down for the sake of one person. They have been going there for a few years.

I pray to beer that it was an inocent remark...but it didnt come accross that way

Anyone in that industry should be aware of the repercussions of such a remark. As I said (once I read the post properly) - at best it is entirely unprofessional and that's reading with mary poppin's reading glasses on.

Damn bro, Thats scary stuff. As a dad myself i understand your feelings. But be careful because the career could just be one of those people who are genuinely friendly (child like themselves). I'm aware there's a lot of deviants around but there also good friendly people too. All up better to be safe than sorry but be careful too.

as a dad beset by a fear of how I keep my son safe, he'd be getting a visit from my Samoan BIL. Maybe a naive and innocent comment, but when it's my kid Im a raging ******* inferno and if it's a choice between some wet behind the ears neo adult pissing himself faced with Bobby and his cousins and my kid being safe, I know what choice I'm making

Just to play devils advocate....I was on kinder duty a few weeks back and one of the girls tells me she wants me to come to her birthday party. When you have 20 kids hassling you sometimes the answer is "sure, sounds good now go play"

So does that get twisted round in the car home to "somebody's daddy said they want to come and play with me"?

Not defending this guy but one thing I have noticed in a female dominated profession, the males can be very popular with the kids, there's a chance 15 boys were talking x-box to him at once.

I think you could be getting worked up for nothing, to put your mind at ease confront the person, ask him what the situation is, could be he has a house full of his own kids, you will know if it is something suspicious, (probably through denial), and if it is tell him you will be taking it further.

wide eyed and legless said:
I think you could be getting worked up for nothing, to put your mind at ease confront the person, ask him what the situation is, could be he has a house full of his own kids, you will know if it is something suspicious, (probably through denial), and if it is tell him you will be taking it further.
I hope I am getting worked up over nothing

But what happens when something does happen...?

It's possible that what TSMill says is along the lines of what happened, and possibly not. Definitely take it seriously.

As someone who works in daycare I'd say talk to his managers, and also take your concerns to the government body that oversees daycare in your state. They will take it seriously and get the police involved as necessary. I'm sure his managers will take notice. If it ends up that no one is listening to you, then take it to the police.

I myself wouldn't talk to him directly. If he is a paedophile, they can be incredibly persuasive people. They're used to having to live one life under the radar and a different one in public. If you're like me with my kids, you'll end up wanting to kill him after about 20 seconds of flapping his jaw. This needs to be taken seriously by the relevant authorities. Paedophiles need to be rooted out wherever they are and losing your shit at him will not help that happen. It's crucial, for your son and every other child, that whoever you talk to about it takes you seriously. If no one is taking you seriously, go to the police.

If it turns out that something was in fact amiss, and this guy was targeting your son, then you call the Samoan BIL.

Ducatiboy stu said:
I hope I am getting worked up over nothing

But what happens when something does happen...?
**** that Stu. Err to the side of caution.
Sound the words out to yourself and tell me if you'd be comfortable saying that to a mates kid.
Benign or otherwise, its wholly inappropriate, and an adult in that position should be well aware of that. Something just doesn't sit right, with me anyway.

On the other hand, you could potentially destroy someones life and reputation if even the suggestion of this behavior was made public. Its a tricky one.
I'd be fronting the joints admin and confirming the kind of background checks the run on employees then perhaps make a call from there.

I wont be just going out naming and shaming. He is only a young bloke so would hate to wreck his life over nothing.

It mat be an innocent remark

It may not....

Could it be a matter of wishful thinking on your son's part?
As in, they have been talking about PlayStation games, turns out the carer seems to have some good ones your son would love to play, plus he really likes the carer as he is a really cool young guy, so in the car it turns into what you have heard?

Maybe your son knows that when he asks you if he could go to his carer's place you would say no, so instead he is ' being smart' and makes out that he has been asked to go to his place? Better chance for you to say yes in your sons mind, maybe?

I know that my kids are good at twisting things around in a way that they think gives them the best chance of success.

Just throwing options out there, definitely follow it up.
On the other hand, I'm sure you have heard about the incident in a Brisbane Lindy a week or two ago, which is one of the most sickening things I've heard in a long time.

Just be level headed when you deal with it until you know for sure what happened, but it sounds like you know that already

Latest posts

Back