My Temp Control Setup

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zizzle

Reaction score
I suspect there are some techies/engineers here that would get something out of this post. Pat actually asked me to do this in laymans terms, but that is harder, and may come later.

I got the temp control unit from brissybrew which is great, but at about the time I set it up, ambient temps were swinging below 12 over night and over 25 during the day. I didn't really have an idea of how warm/cool it was getting downstairs. I figured I would really needed to cool and heat, but the simple little controller will only do one at a time.

I've got a Systems Engineering degree so I figured I could probably sort something out. So after scouting arount, I worked out I could get a digital multimeter with RS-232 output for about $50. Not bad, but that would be only one sensor. Low speed data aq gear can be had for $25 to hook up to a PC. But I would need to buy and wire thermocouples.

Then I found the DS1820. It can be wired up to a PC pretty easily. 1-wire bus with parasitic power it very cool. Linux drivers. I was set.

http://www.linuxfocus.org/English/November...rticle315.shtml

Now price in aus: $20 each. WTF? Go to the dallas semi website and they are listed at US$3. That is quite a markup for something the size of a transistor. But wait, they send out FREE samples. Great.

So the plan is, put some sensors in the fridge, wire up some relays to switch the fridge and a globe inside, write some software to controll it from a PC. Easy.

Then I discover the old laptop I have been saving for just such an occasion has a dead hard disk.

Plan B: run enough cable up stairs to a PC there. Also to make cabling easier by using CAT5, and so RJ45 sockets at each end.

Wire the circuit to drive the DS1820 into the serial port plug.
162951718_6b5b6882ec.jpg

Next snag, I need to drive 2 relays, but there is only one output left on the DB-9 RS-232 port. Need to get some more outputs from the parallel port. Oh well not as neat but will do the job:
162951717_5735c62e80.jpg

I find an 8-way relay board in my junk boxes. Should do the job. The relays are rated 5A. I will wire 2 pairs up in parallel just to be sure.

Relay coils need a fair bit of juice. Not really, but more than I want to draw from the poor old PC parallel printer port. The box will have mains in it, so simple to add a small transformer. Jaycar $7. Jam some leds on the front for power, heat, cool. Couple of 3.5mm audio jack for connecting the DS1820s to the bus. All in a jiffy box.

160761887_f271ce1a5b.jpg

160761886_ce6b856bcc.jpg

160761891_1be3f1aadf.jpg

Bit of heat shrink tubing around the DS1820s:

162951716_c12451b294.jpg

Total spend: about $20. Plus a few hours stuffing around soldering and drilling holes in the case.

Results:
162956247_9ab85d9c62.jpg

So it turns out that after all that, that the temps inside are actually quite stable, and around the right value.

Oh well it was fun anyway.

I'd just like to say that I reckon Zizzle is going to come up with some great stuff for us AHB'ers. The above, (I think!), is a really simple and cheap way of controlling your fermentation temps via computer.

I met him last weekend on a brew day and he told me about the above which I could only half take in as I was busy co-ordinating hop additions and drinking beer. Was still really impressed. The long and short of it is that this guy can basically do anything with probes and software. I actually demanded that Zizzle make a post on what he had achieved as it was pretty amazing.

Zizzle just sent me a PM saying,

I just did a post about my temp control setup. Filled with geek speak, I hope you can follow it.

My answer is basically, "Zizzle, I cannot follow it at all! I have no idea what DS1820 is but certainly know what, WTF means!"

As Zizzle said though, "Pat actually asked me to do this in laymans terms, but that is harder, and may come later."

Zizzle, you're a champion giving such a detailed post. As for the technical side, I cannot comment. I know there are a heap of IT guys on AHB who will understand the above readily. Probably some electrical engineers out there as well.

God knows what will happen to AHB when you meet BrissyBrew!

Well done mate with the pics and all. I hope everyone here on AHB looks after you so as we reap the benefits of your thinking asap.

Cheers
Pat

EDIT: My long-windedness here is a result of way too much Scwarzbier - sorry about that!

Neat Zizzle, so how did you drive the relays, are you using your small relays as primary relays to switch ac to the switch relays.

Amazing! I was looking at some USB controllers awhile back but the cost was up and was not sure if most people had a spare PC to plug them into. I love the temp log though. I note most of the temp spikes were early on probably when the yeast were generating heat.

Awesome zizzle.

As an electrical engineer turned software developer who has very recently discovered brewing, I have had a similar idea. I've got my samples of the DS1820, and will be building the serial interface soon. I plan to port the software to Windows, as that's what my home PC is running. I'll post the details when i eventually get it running. B)

Jizzle: Is that thing plugged directly into your LAN/computer?

While I'm still collecting my brew gear, a computer controlled/monitored brew house is something that I have thought about quite a bit. But, unfortunately don't posses the electrical or programming skills to undertake such a project. I can program in VB but only up to an intermediate level but definitely not port control.

Things that I dream about are:
  1. Monitor room and fridge's internal ambient temp
  2. Monitor individual fermenters temp, preferably up to 4 carboys
  3. Monitor the flow from each keg, this would then allow for determining keg levels, and you could even have a warning when the kegs reach a certain level
  4. Enter some key details on each fermenter and keg
  5. Obviously obtain graphs and reports on the data collected
  6. The hardware could be modular depending on what features you wish to build/buy
This would look great on a large virtual dashboard kind of graphical user interface. Big dials and read outs.

Like I said, I don't know crap and this is merely a dream for me, but would make a fantastic open source project. I would only be able to help with the GUI and graphics though :(

great post.

I have a good friend who is way more electronics savy than myself. He's planning on building me a control box for my AG brew set up.

I've got my samples of the DS1820, and will be building the serial interface soon. I plan to port the software to Windows, as that's what my home PC is running. I'll post the details when i eventually get it running. B)

Just to make it easier for everyone
1. You can buy the serial interfaces already made up for the DS1820's (and other 1 wire devices). They are expensive to get shipped unless you want a few of them (bulk buy!)
2. The digitemp software is available that will read the DS1820's for you.
3. You can graph the temperatures using dtgraph or rrd

You can get the DS1820's cheaper in Aus, do a search and you will find a few suppliers, should be around the $6 to $7 each mark.

I have dtgraph setup to send an SMS when the temperatures get out of range in the brewery.

Cheers
Pedro

Bump. All this "White Man's Magic" in the brewery. Methinks homebrew has gone hitech.

Very nice Zizzle.
I've been using the DS1621 temp chips for the last 4 years and they haven't missed a beat.
On the graph software I found PHPlot to be really good as I could write the web interface to provide the queries of what to graph, then return the graph to your browser in real time.
More detail in this topic if if you are interested.

Beers,
Doc

We found some nifty little usb electronic kits a while ago. Four dig out, 8 dig in and most important 2 0-5v analoug in.

Four of these can be used in one machine and are adressable. The kit from memory is about $70 and bought in Australia and the little lm35's which act as neat little temp sensors range fron about 50c to $8 depending on their range and accuracy.

The kit comes with the demo software in both VB and C++.

This was going to control our fermenting fridges and cold room but I recently got my hands on an Allen Bradley SLC503 with all the required cards to take over the world.

The main concern I had with using a pc was stability as I would hate to go away for the weekend and come back to find the computer had crashed and my pils fermenting at 30 deg. :(

Regards Derrick

Pat: Yeah, we'll have to give you a crash course in electronics, then build you a similar but smaller setup based on an old car fridge.

Screwtop: I'm just using a couple of NPN transistors to switch the relays. The ciruit is so trivial I didn't even bother to do a diagram. Here is something similar off the web (sorry for the ascii art, couldn't find a gif):

Code:
							Vcc

|

+------+

|	__|__

Relay   /^\  Diode 1N4002

Coil  /---\

|	  |

+------+

|

Diode			| /

1N4148  4.7K   B |/  C

parallel  >-|>|-+--\/\/\/--|		NPN Transistor: BC547A or 2N2222A

port data	   |		  |\  E

pin			 +-|<|-+	  | V

1N4148	|	  |

parallel  >-----------+------+

port ground				  |

Ground

Brissybrew: the temp spikes earlier on were me playing with the software. Back then it had far more hysteresis. I also wasn't logging the state of the lamp, but the spikes are actually caused by the heater going.

Chad: It's not connected to ethernet, although as you can see ethernet cabling is used. The CAT5 goes straight from the jiffy box to the DB9 serial plug on the PC. Also the DS1820 only need a twisted pair bus. That means you could easily hang your 6 or more sensors of the one twisted pair (wire).

Gulf Brewery: Yep, have seen the ibutton stuff. I actually ripped about 600 lines of code out of digitemp to write my control software. The SMS alarm is a good idea. Also need to sound an alarm if any of the cabiling gets knocked out. But yeah, everyone seems to have a pet graphing software.

Doc: I have done a PostgreSQL backed system with web frontend at work for much more complex data (and gigabytes of it). Used python to generate the pages, I'm not real big on PHP. Also ended up using ploticus to generate the graphs, which I modified to be able to query the db directly. I think the author has added a similar capability in the code now, although I don't think he used my patches.

Crazy: I wouldn't trust my brews with windoze. But I've had linux boxes take a pounding and stay up for years. On power failure then can be setup to restart the monitoring software. Either that or get a UPS.

This page also provided some inspiration: http://www.lemis.com/grog/brewing/temperature-control.html

Yo Zizzle,

Just stumbled on this thread today! Nice Fkn work bro - looks sweet as when drawn up in the graph.

I'm sure there's plenty more this 'avenue' of monitoring temps etc can develop! You'll have a pro brewery set up in no time! Not to mention the fact that it'll all be AG of course!

Hi all,

I just found this post and thought people might be interested in another method of remotely monitoring their fridge temp. Found a couple of kits that allow a temperature to be sent via RF back to my PC where I have a (Java) program that reads the data off the serial port. It's not a controller but still allows you to keep an eye on the temp in the fridge. I have a separate Dixell with probe in a thermowell controlling the fridge. The sensor kit allows for up to 4 probes, I have one in the fridge and one monitoring ambient room temp. Let me know if anyone wants details of the kits. I've attached a pic of the java prog, it can be minimized to the SysTray which is handy. I also have some graphing via a free graphing package for Java

cheers

Patrick

temp.JPG

Or, you could do away with having a PC sitting there taking up real estate and go picaxe.......

BN
Well the PC is the main one next to my desk so it's not in the brewery. All that's in the brewery is the temp kit and the transmitter. The PC has a receiver plugged into the serial port. You can actually view the data directly using a terminal program. I has a look at picaxe but the kits ended up being easier as there was no on-board programming to be done. Just had to write the app to read from the serial port.

I'll have to send the link to the kit supplier when I get home, I'm at work lashed to a PC at the moment.

cheers

Patrick.

Well if you are a geek you probably have a PC running in the vicinity to controll your fridge. If not, you can pick up an old laptop for next to nothing and the power consumption is pretty low.

I think the advantage of using a PC is the display of the temp data on a graph in real time (use it as a screen saver).

Having said that, the gear in the first post of this thread is now at another brewers place and he has to run a dedicated PC for it. So we have talked about doing up a small Atmel AVR controller board with some EEPROM to log the data so that it can be loaded on a PC for graphing/archieving. I also have some cheap UHF RF board to try to get a wireless data link.

Well the PC is the main one next to my desk so it's not in the brewery. All that's in the brewery is the temp kit and the transmitter. The PC has a receiver plugged into the serial port. You can actually view the data directly using a terminal program. I has a look at picaxe but the kits ended up being easier as there was no on-board programming to be done. Just had to write the app to read from the serial port.

I'll have to send the link to the kit supplier when I get home, I'm at work lashed to a PC at the moment.

cheers

Patrick.

Does it control the temps? the PICAXE is controlling 5 devices on its output, and that is not using them all either. Displaying temps is great and all....

Well if you are a geek you probably have a PC running in the vicinity to controll your fridge. If not, you can pick up an old laptop for next to nothing and the power consumption is pretty low.

A laptop in a brewery environment is asking for it I think. PICAXE cost ~$100.

I think the advantage of using a PC is the display of the temp data on a graph in real time (use it as a screen saver).

Like the LCD screen on the PICAXE does. Or a thermometer for that matter.

Latest posts

Back