My New Ss Braided Manifold

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sluggerdog said:
Just got my esky this morning, was wondering if the tap it came with would be good enough or should I get something better?
[post="58185"][/post]​
This is what I am currently using:
MashtunExplodedSS.jpg
but be creative.

There are more pics and description at http://brewiki.org/BatchSparge including one way to attach the braid.

sosman, this is pretty much what I got, however I will attach the ss mesh a little different to you..

Cheers for the info guys!

Just cut the ends off now and trying to pull the rubber tube through, is there any trick to this?

I am having great difficulties

sluggerdog said:
Just cut the ends off now and trying to pull the rubber tube through, is there any trick to this?

I am having great difficulties
[post="58244"][/post]​
Try pushing rather than pulling. Ie open up the braid. Another trick is to wet the whole shebang. Next time you try this, leave a nut on one end (cut the braid only), it gives you something to grab hold of.

Ok after about 40 mins, some skin off my hand, about 6kg of sweat and
50,000 swear words I got it off...

I am going to join it back onto the original end it came with and screw it onto the threaded pipe I have going through the wall of the esky. Easy, should come up pretty sweetly...

NEVER WANT TO DO THAT AGAIN THOUGH!

They come off dead easy it you cut through the middle of the original swage, pluck out the ferule and then grab one side of the rubber pipe with a pair of long nose pliers. Then just use your hand to pull the outer off but you have to hold it at the same end as the pliers (so sort of pushing but not) and it bunches up a little and comes of easy.
Was going to write this before but dinner was on the table so I had to go...... sorry.
Borret

I reckon a little liquid soap added to it makes it slide right off - I had mine skinned in under 30 seconds...

NRB said:
I reckon a little liquid soap added to it makes it slide right off - I had mine skinned in under 30 seconds...
[post="58268"][/post]​

Oi Vey! The bris is complete. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Warren -

Went for my test run with water just before and the thing leaks. i have fiber washers in between the esky and the metal washer.

Should I be looking at a different type of washer or maybe some liquid no more gaps or something similar?

Not a huge drip but enough to make a differance.

sluggerdog said:
Went for my test run with water just before and the thing leaks. i have fiber washers in between the esky and the metal washer.

Should I be looking at a different type of washer or maybe some liquid no more gaps or something similar?

[post="58351"][/post]​

Slugger do you have the washers on both sides of the bulkhead?

If not do so. If it still leaks consider adding another washer each side. (ie; 2 side). Should seal up with a minimum of pressure and no real dramas.

If fibre washers still leak. Get a couple of rubber ones. Fermenter tap washers work particularly well.

Should be leak-proof without having to resort to fish tank sealants.

The pic that Sos posted should get you there no worries and a perfect seal. It's pretty much the same as what I'm using.

Warren -

yeah warren, I am using the same as sosman's picture, I might go down and get some rubber washers as the fiber ones do not seem to be working...

sluggerdog said:

[post="58351"][/post]​

Hi sluggerdog

Sounds like you need a seal between the nut and metal washer.
Thread tape is essential as you probably can't tighten it enough without crushing the esky wall. It is amazing how much will leak thru' a tightened thread at the best of times.

My set-up is similar to sosman but with flanged nuts (Bunnings) and a single rubber washer on the inside.
Never had a leak problem - well, with the mash tun anyway ;) .

Thanks shmick, I do have thread tape already, I will try the rubber washer, sounds like it should do the trick.

Rubber washer did the trick, done. Will mash tomorrow! Thanks Guys

Best of luck on your first full mash Slugger :beer:

Back