My New Rig

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks pretty darned spiffy!
:beerbang:

The tap on the keggle looks different, hydraulic control valve is it, or just the handle from one?
:icon_cheers:

No worries Glaab...
All good .... What are you considering for elements?

It's for the kettle, I have a Mongoloid burner on NatGas. Got the birko urn for my HLT.
Still setting it up at the moment, hope to be drinking my first AG on Xmas day. :icon_chickcheers:

Fergi real hard to put a cost on it.
When you start putting it all together it is scary how quick it all adds a rough guess I would say near 3K...... Silicon hose, cam locks, pumps even the castors with brakes were $90.
I also did things like socket in the back of the Mash Tun for a thermowell addition if I want at a later date.
50litre Mash Tun, 70 Litre Kettle.
It's a bit like doing ajob at home you can never walk out of Bunnings wthout spending $200...

Well the Bride come ome today to take prime spot and schooey you will be happy I parted with the extra coin to put a Tel Tru on her........Isn't that black dress sexy!
KHB can't wait to have a few beers and Brew!

Woody can you just run through the process there for a non ag brewer at the moment, 3 vessels there so just the readers digest version of what each vessel is for .and which one runs into the other.
cheers
fergi

just want to know why their is a water filtration unit attached to the heatexchanger......

must be loads of sediment in the water is there?

Biggest mistake I made was cooling into the fermenter and left the tap open ...................Of all the dumb arse basic things. ( Lost a couple of litres to my shed floor)

I still do that and been brewing a few years now :blink:

Well done Woody .

Any pics of how you mounted your burner

pumpy :)

Woody can you just run through the process there for a non ag brewer at the moment, 3 vessels there so just the readers digest version of what each vessel is for .and which one runs into the other.
cheers
fergi
O.K the vessel on the left is the HLT heat water to strike @ 75 degrees.
Underlet this water into the Mlt (Middle ) Grain already added to the MLT to Achieve 68 degrees stir well.
While grain is going thr sacchrifiaction (60 min )
Top up Hlt and Heat to 92 degrees for Mash Out.
Top up Water through the top Inlet on the MLT (Middle) to achive 75 degrees for Mash Out (10 Minutes}
Top up HLT with enough cold water to bring it down to 75 degree for Sparging.
Drain the first running until clear and reintroduce to the MLT.
Connect hoses from the MLT to PUMP then PuMP to Kettle ( Right Vessel) and sparge the required volume of water into the Kettle .
Boil , add hops and Whirfloc and then Pump through the Chil plate into fermenter.

Hope that makes sense...

just want to know why their is a water filtration unit attached to the heatexchanger....

must be loads of sediment in the water is there?

No skippy it is the so water has 1 connection point to the brewery and then you are filtering all your water fopr your beer and topping up.
The John Guest Fittings keep it all tidy!

Well done Woody .

I was so mad with myself ... Iwas busy concentrating on all the numbers and keeping records and turned round and had 2 litres on the floor.

I will take a piccy mate but just basically carved up the stand it come on and screwed it to the frame .

Well done Woody .

Just basically carved up the stand it come on that way it is the same height from the kettle as it was on te stand.

DSCF0198.jpg

Woody,

What are the dimensions of the stand ? Do you have a diagram you can share?
My next project is a stand.

did you make the stand or did that come from Wayne (BB)?

BOG

Woody,

BOG

No I made the stand.............. Wayne would have a fit at my welding.
I will have a look to see if I still have the piccy with the measurements.

Woody,

BOG

Piccy attached and hope it helps.
I didnt do the bit for the burner as found carving up the stand was easier.

Stand.JPG

Drain the first running until clear and reintroduce to the MLT.
Connect hoses from the MLT to PUMP then PuMP to Kettle ( Right Vessel) and sparge the required volume of water into the Kettle .

Woody, Is it just the way it is written or do you not use your pump to recirculate the wort?
I currently don't have a march pump so don't know much about there operation, but thought you would connect Mash Tun drain to Pump intake and Pump Outlet to top of Mash Tun turn on pump for 5-10 mins and let it recirculate until clear.

Drew

Woody, Is it just the way it is written or do you not use your pump to recirculate the wort?
I currently don't have a march pump so don't know much about there operation, but thought you would connect Mash Tun drain to Pump intake and Pump Outlet to top of Mash Tun turn on pump for 5-10 mins and let it recirculate until clear.

Drew
I only use the pump to pump from Mash tun to kettle and kettle, recirculate in the kettle through the pump to whirlpool then pump through the plate chiller to fermenter .
If you try to recirculate through the Mash Tun without a Herms or Rims you will lose temperature.
For the small amount to get the hoses to clear wort it is just as easy to collect and tip.
Well that is my understanding but I am pretty new to all this.
Hope that made sense.

Woody, I've just been looking at the pics in your gallery album. In relation to your plate chiller, you only have what looks like 6mm beer line for your water connections. If you change to garden hose you should get a much greater cooling affect. You will use more water also, do you use tank/pool water?

razz I had the same thought but the water still runs cold comming out of the plate at resonable speed it was just contact time of the wort.
I am on mains water.

Latest posts

Back