My New Grain Mill.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

CraftBrewer
Reaction score
Bought a 3 roller S/S Crankenstein from Roy at TWOC.
Grabbed a 2hp 3 phase motor out the scrap from my old scrap Company for zip :)
Then handed over the bits to Tony (Browndog) with a few suggestions of what i wanted...
1 week later he's delivered something that far surpasses anything I could have hoped for :wub:
10 kilo hopper, grain shute, roller speed of 250 rpm - 5 kilos cracked to perfection in 1 minute.

Tony with my new baby
Mill_tony.jpg

Close up
Mill.jpg

Cheers Ross

welcome to the club mate

its great watching it fly out of the mill hey :)

cheers

Ross that is top stuff...

Not only provides the "goods" but looks good too..

Has that "nostalgic" look to it... be a nice center piece in anyone's bar...(especialy mine) :p

Oh.... nice work browndog.

Is it alloy or stainless?

Im thinking of ditching the crap timber hopper on mine and building an aluminium one.

cheers

Ross..
Bit of an overkill at 3 phase...... :p
PJ

Will it do it as fast as mine??????????

crank.hop.JPG

Oh.... nice work browndog.

Is it alloy or stainless?

Tony, It's an aluminium hopper.

Poppa, only went 3phase as the motor was free & i fortunately have 3phase at home.
As for speed, yours certainly looks like it'll handle more throughput, think you'd wipe the floor with a kilo but i might outlast you on a 25kg sack.... depends how strong your arms are :p

cheers Ross

Well done Browndog [Tony] and Ross, I now have grainmill envy.
Can't wait to see it running in person.

Very very nice :beerbang:

Batz

I've said it before, I'll say it again...

You set the standard Ross!

Very nice

Derrick just spotted the dodgey loose wires (my less than handywork) in the picture & is coming over next week to tidy them up for me - The skills & generousity of the guys/gals from this forum are staggering... Cheers all :beer:

I've never noticed one with a side discharge. Most times they're just bottom dumpers. I like the chute! Very nice. I just got my gearmotor yesterday, and was doing mockups today. Now I gotta rethink things!

On the 3 phase thing........ it would be a much better option.

On my single phase motor if it loads up and slows enough to click out the cintrifical switch in side it loses all power and stops.

no such problems with a 3 phase motor.

if youve got it ....... use it for sure.

cheers

Looking great Ross.
Would really love to see a guard over the pulleys/belt though.

When I mocked my motorised mill up it was all open etcetra.
After thinking about my condition when I get to the shed to crush grain I ended up mounting it permenantly on shelving with the pulleys and belt against the shed wall and out of reach of fingers.

Doc

Looking great Ross.
Would really love to see a guard over the pulleys/belt though.

When I mocked my motorised mill up it was all open etcetra.
After thinking about my condition when I get to the shed to crush grain I ended up mounting it permenantly on shelving with the pulleys and belt against the shed wall and out of reach of fingers.

Doc

I'll love to see a pic of your mill Doc,me being a Valley Mill owner an all

Batz

No probs Batz.
Here it is with a concrete mixer motor mounted on a Hardware House three shelf shelving unit.
Well used and never skipped a beat.

Beers,
Doc

MotorisedValleyMill_007__Large_.jpg

Top stuff Ross and i like your set up as well Doc.All things ive got to do when im down south soon.And go the guard as Doc suggests Ross elsewise we might be calling you stumpy.

Cheers
Big D

LIVE ON THE EDGE!!!

Actually, fixing the wires and a guard for the belt is a good idea... knowing me I'd damage myself installing the safety equipment!

I have to grab the pully and give it a spin on mine :)

havnt lost a finger............ yet :)

Back