My New False Bottom

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matho

The Braumiser
Reaction score
i have almost finished making a new false bottom for my mash tun. Things left to be done is to get some silicone tubing to seal around the edge of the false bottom and to re-arrange the pick up

DSCF1157.JPG

DSCF1158.JPG

DSCF1159.JPG

DSCF1160.JPG

i made it out of some scarp stainless steel sheet i had but i have been thinking that a stainless steel serving tray that can be bought at a $2 shop would work really well too.

cheers matho

i have almost finished making a new false bottom for my mash tun. Things left to be done is to get some silicone tubing to seal around the edge of the false bottom and to re-arrange the pick up

View attachment 42731

View attachment 42732

View attachment 42733

View attachment 42734

i made it out of some scarp stainless steel sheet i had but i have been thinking that a stainless steel serving tray that can be bought at a $2 shop would work really well too.

cheers matho

Nice one Matho,
I wouldn't bother about sealing the edge with silicone mate, it's not necessary. Quite a lot of us use converted kegs as mashtuns & the false bottom is not as tight a fight as yours.

Cheers,
Crusty

how many slots did you cut in it mate?

fifty?

:lol:

love ya work! looks great.

your spot on mate

love those 1mm cutting discs

about 120 cuts at about 40mm, even with the 1mm cutting disc the distortion got pretty bad nothing a hammer and a lump of wood couldnt fix though

cheers steve

Thanks dcx
I have also be thinking of putting some stainless steel braid on the pick up as a secondary screen

Cheers matho

Dont bother with the silicone. You'll have to take it out to clean

Mmmmm your the third person to tell me that point taken.
Im going to have reduce that gap though, I doesn't look that big in the photo but it's too big.
Gives me an excuse to pull out the mig welder and tack some more metal back on :)

Cheers matho

from what I can gather he said he is using silicon hose not silicon. With a hose you just cut a slot in and slide over the metal that way it can be removed and cleaned also will fill the gaps as you could slide it out when in position so there are no gaps.

That was the plan kelby thinking of using the 5mm silicon tubing they use in nitro engines

Cheers matho

yeah good thinking to bad your not close I am sure I got some laying around but any hobby shop should have them I think some toy r us stock nitro gear well ones in qld did

well i got the silicon tubing today and have fitted it

this is what i looks like on the false bottom

DSCF1161.JPG

DSCF1162.JPG

i dont think it will be to much of a pain, it come off easily for cleaning, think i might give it a go and see

cheers matho

I've got a shop-bought falsie because I know nothing about false bottom design but that looks the duck's nuts, matho.

Looking good there steve.... that setup would work well with a stainless steel pot mash tun - step mashes with direct heat here we go

Thanks guys hope it works as good as it looks
Hey Ben i still have lots of 1mm cutting discs it might be an upcoming project :)

Cheers steve

thats the way to go matho def better with the silicon tubing. I got heaps 1mm disks to lol lent to guy next door with 2 disks come back with 4 lol then took 1 to work and I could prob take 10 home without notice we got 3 months and 1200lm of steel to cut into lengths lol plus about 600lm of batterns to cut :p so sure a few disks wont be missed prob need like 200 to do the job

Latest posts

Back