My First Time With Hard Apple Cider

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
update as of 10/17/11

I waited 2 extra days to rack to secondary because as of 10/15, the airlock was still quite active.

took a SG reading today and it was 1.004.

I took a taste test and compared it to the sample from last week. The best words are sharper and drier. The sweetness it has last week is gone. it isn't harsh or anything...just "sharp." i really don't know if that is the best way to describe it. the best reference i have for it is the difference between drinking a Jack and coke (50/50 mix) or just Jack on the rocks. That isn't to say that I think the alcohol is 2x more concentrated...but that burn you get when you drink Jack on the rocks that you don't get when you mix with soda is what I am trying to describe. I rather enjoyed it but know that if there is any yeast that is still around, I'd want it to do its thing a bit more. So, as planned, I added 1 gallon of the same juice BUT instead of the 5 lbs of dextrose, I added 2.5lbs of the same dark brown sugar. I originally said 5lbs, but went lower with the option to add it later if it needs it for sweetness.

Once dissolved, I checked the SG and it was 1.035 after adding the gallon of juice and 2.5lbs of sugar.

As per my plan, I will clear, bottle and filter. I will take a gravity reading before clearing to see if any of the newer sugar was eaten or not.

Then after bottling, I will do a complete taste test (with requisite rinsing and palate cleansing with all 3 samples)

I will also take last week's, today's sample and a completed bottle to work to check the final % and report back. In theory, it should already be over the 18% yeast tolerance, so the extra sugar/juice i added today will only sweeten it up, which is fine by me. I have the spec at my disposal in my lab, but I am resisting the urge to test both current samples until I have the final product in hand.

question of the day....
there is still a little headspace in the secondary carboy...should I top it up to the rubber bung with more apple juice or just leave it. I think I might be able to add about another quart to it to fill the headspace.

Since you have added more fermentables, it will keep fermenting (probably) so wait till it is close to finished, then top off with water. You will need to age it for a fair while, if you have a big headspace it will probably oxidise.

yield: 24 liters
final abv: 18.6%
taste: freaking wonderful!

I followed my plan with timing but only backsweetened with 1lb of dark brown sugar. Its bottled and being consumed. At the tasting last night, all 9 people absolutely raved about it and think its a sweet, mellow and refreshing drink. everyone pretty much doubted the ABV until about 3 drinks in and an hour later when they were all quite "happy"

I am fully satisfied with the results and recommend this recipe to anyone wanting a high octane drink

fyi...bottles were purposefully underfilled to allow room for co2 when i force carb.

Latest posts

Back