My First Brew...is It To Hot!?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theMISSIONARY

Reaction score
Gday all i have been lerking in the back ground.....its time to come forth

i got my brew kit WEST BREW kit............i got a Coopers Brewmaster-Wheet beer can and yeast

but its getting some what hot here! 36 degrees today and the aircons not working it gets to 32 deg in the house......

so is it to hot??.........to start a brew

i like my schofferhofer and james squire wheat beers........dont like pilsner(i havent had a good one maybe :p )

i dont have the $$$ to get a fridge so what can i do if its to hot

and im using PET bottles(750ml)for the second ferment is it to hot for this too?

so any help for a poor noob :blink:

thanks steve

Mate you got problems
30+ is too hot to make good beer, I dont know where you live (update your signature) but you might have to limit your self to winter brewing if it's into the 30t's already.

If you are out west evaporative cooling can work wonders, a tub of water and some calico or an old towel and a fan can knock 10 degrees off a brew.
Best idea is to get a Brisseybrew controller and an old fridge - less than $ 100 - all up and make good beer.

The other problem you have, not liking pilsner!
Sorry can't help you there, tho I would consider electroshock or medication as possible solutions.

MHB

Have a read of the threads pinned or "airlocked" at the start of the forums, in particular the new brewer FAQ in the kit and kilo forum. This covers the best temperature to brew at and also easy ways to keep your brew cool. It also covers heaps of other points you need to know. There is a huge amount of information in the posts pinned.

Your brew will ferment at 30, but you may not like the results.

Bugger brewing a beer. :(

Get your Aircon fixed instead! :D

(then brew a beer, but make it an ale until you have a fermenting fridge) :beerbang:

Fester

Welcome Missionary Man,

I reckon the G.O. for newbies is definitely the old tub of water and towels draped up over the fermenter. The water is drawn up (wicked) by the towels and evaporates off (basic refrigeration). Most/all of us started using something similar. The addition of a fan increases efficiency as does adding ice to the water in the tub.

An inexpensive method which works, the temp will not be stable due to fluctuations in ambient temp but will produce a better beer than a fermentation left to run away at temps above 30c. Try for around 22c if using a wheat beer yeast or if using an ale yeast (then it won't be a real wheat beer) around 19c.

Trust me, once you produce a couple of nice beers you'll soon find the money to spend on ways to improve results. The biggest single improvement is gained by controlling fermentation temp, the next by using good yeast. In general yeast strains contribute largely to the flavour of your beer, some strains are considered neutral and contribute little to the flavour but a wheat beer without a wheat beer yeast strain, is just a beer with some wheat taste.

Brew beer Missionary, each brew will be better than the last, if not you will have learn't what not to do.

Three words: 100 Can Cooler.

Other advice:
  • Don't ferment too warm unlees you have a yeast for specifically high temps
  • Brew as many brews as you can, to get a feel for the process.
  • Share your beer with friends and invite "real" feedback.
  • Try a Saison with a saison yeast, which will be happy at temps over 30C.
  • Get yourself a culture of a true weizen (Bavarian wheat) yeast. Someone in your local area may share one, if you tell us where you live.
  • Enjoy your brewing and try a range of styles. You might find one you like more than others!
Beerz

Seth :p

Back