My First Belgian Attempt Is Infected....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wambesi

brewer
Reaction score
Well I think my first Belgian attempt is infected. :(
It was a disaster of a brew day - everything that could go wrong did, but I ended up with 15L of wort, which I diluted up to get back into the range I was meant to be in.

Anyways, it had been fermenting away nicely (I thought) and finally settled around 1.010 over a couple of days, crashed chilled down to 3deg and after a few days added gelatine (also my first attempt) and now after three days, she's bubbling away again - at 3 deg!

It was bubbling very slowly (I think, never saw it but think I heard it) before I crash chilled, but it had been at a constant reading for a few days.

Apart from the disaster day, I can only think of two ways an infection got in, either:

1. My sanitisation with the starter (or making the slant) was not up to scratch (again, another first!); or
2. It came in with the gelatine mix

Well we'll see if it's the starter as I just made up my second starter from a slant and be brewing in a few days.
Now I'm not sure if I should toss it or bottle it in a few more days into PET - at least I wont get glass around the place if it is truly infected.

I need a beer.....

Just age it for another 2 years and tell everyone "It's meant to taste like that!" <_<

How long did the primary go for? Mine lasted about 3 weeks with my Saison (1.006 finished). What is the gravity now? How is it tasting?

Could just be CO2 coming out of solution.

Have you tasted it? And slimy/stringy/floaty bits?

Could just be CO2 coming out of solution.

Have you tasted it? And slimy/stringy/floaty bits?

I thought it may be that also, but it's been down at 3deg now for almost a week.
There is no real other signs of infection - visual or taste, although I should have another taste as my last wasn't really the best time - right in between mouthfuls of my APA.

dont give up!! Wait for it to stop and check it out. What was the OG? Which yeast did you use? I have had some strange ferments before, if you're not familier with the yeast, you never know...

The smell / taste test is the ultimate - if they are ok, the beer is ok.

Cheers - Mike

Taste b4 U toss.

If it tastes OK and ur happy, just bottle. If it tastes right but ur still a little suss, bottle in PET.

Be prepared to surprise yourself.

Beerz
Les

Latest posts

Back