My First Ag - Biab

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxd

Reaction score
Hi All

well did my first AG today, it's a BIAB.

Heres a nice clean virgin setup
R0011574.JPG
R0011575.JPG
R0011576.JPG
R0011579.JPG

got my bag and grain in, gave it a bit of a stir and checked my temp 68.4

R0011580.JPG
R0011581.JPG

wrapped it all up
R0011583.JPG

Did the right thing.
R0011584.JPG

mmm, it was gone, it;s cold here at the moment maybe a stout.
R0011586.JPG

Times up check temp 66.4 - next time I will tie up or box the urn
R0011587.JPG

put in the other heater (I need 2 for boiling), I got a good boil now just to hop into it.
R0011588.JPG

all done, llet it sit for 10 then caused a whirlpool and cubed it.
R0011589.JPG
R0011590.JPG

the stuff down the bottom
R0011591.JPG

Ok so pre-boil SG 1.043 should have been 1.048
post boil was 1.053 should have been 1.055

What to learn for next time.

A 1 hour boil evaporated just over 7 ltrs (6cm on an urn that has a radius of 19cm)
I don't think I squeezed the bag well enough.
there should have been 23 ltrs probably 17 ?
I will try to figure our efficiency

Textbook, mxd

Insert icon of clapping hands.

How did you hoist the bag? Also is that a home made pot/urn arrangement or is it a commercial brand? don't recognise the brand. To get that exact willow 23L cube full I usually need about 35 litres of water (liquor) overall.

congrats, it's going to be a great beer whatever. However with that headspace best to pitch asap. :)

thanks for that,

the urn is Westgate, they were bought out by Birko.

The urn didn't have a heating element in, so I put a 2200 $49 one in that could not get to a boil, so for the boil I run the 2 heaters.

I did it under a veranda (I forgot to take that photo) and just had rope over a purlin to hang the bag.

I will ferment tomorrow (well start) then do a red for the cube. Can't wait to try it.

thanks all for all the help, pictures instructions etc..

cheers
Matt

Nice one :icon_cheers: Looks good to me.

A 2C loss in temperature is not too bad. What did you make for your first AG?

Bowie

Aha the mighty Birko company. You did a good job with the immersion heaters. Seeing as you have a skyhook location, for a few dollars you can get a cheap galvanized awning pulley and some awning 'cord' from hardware store that makes a good lifting point. If you are reasonably fit and not totally decrepit (I'm 60 and a sedentary worker and I have little trouble) you don't really need a double pulley hoist system - also if you have a suitable vertical anchoring point, a metal cleat
cleat-hitch-2_small.jpg
is a great single-handed item for tying off the cord and then leave the bag hanging to drain while you do essential duties like pouring another stout. B)

Looks the goods ...Top Effort MXD!
Isn't this Brewing Addictive...
Everyone seems to be getting into AG

Woody

Nice one :icon_cheers: Looks good to me.

A 2C loss in temperature is not too bad. What did you make for your first AG?

Bowie

I did Dr's Golden Ale (had a little more grain to get higher alcohol)

also if you have a suitable vertical anchoring point, a metal cleat
cleat-hitch-2_small.jpg
is a great single-handed item for tying off the cord and then leave the bag hanging to drain while you do essential duties like pouring another stout. B)

After the my brewpot, I think my teflon coated nylon boating cleat that I use for this purpose is probably the most expensive single item in my brewery. And worth every cent.

T.

After the my brewpot, I think my teflon coated nylon boating cleat that I use for this purpose is probably the most expensive single item in my brewery. And worth every cent.

T.

Congrats mate. Great setup. I think this is the 3rd AG cherry today!

AHHH, the beer you will make is... well... :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2:

heres my second one from yesterday, put an order in for 2 more bags of cracked grain, it will be my amber ausmerican pale ale and the good drs landlord.

cheers
Matt

PICT0225.JPG
PICT0226.JPG
PICT0227.JPG
PICT0228.JPG
PICT0229.JPG
PICT0230.JPG
PICT0232.JPG
PICT0233.JPG
PICT0234.JPG
PICT0235.JPG

Great setup you have there!

And the entertainment unit looks like a good way to get some tunes while brewing :D

thanks
Bjorn

Latest posts

Back